Students encouraged to vote in SGA/SPA elections

Every student reading this editorial is most likely a member of the Student Government Association and the Student Programming Association. Every student at Nicholls State who is carrying seven or more hours, in fact, is an SGA and SPA member. These are the largest organizations on campus, which makes members of the editorial board wonder why the majority of attendees at the SGA president and vice president candidates’ forum Monday were local high school students on break from a musical competition and why so little attention is being paid to the SPA vice president election. This is the first time in several years that an SGA president and vice president will not be acclimated to their respective positions.

Students, as constituents of this University and members of the SGA and SPA, should have some input on who fills the position. These students represent the University at conventions and gatherings of Louisiana’s and other states’ colleges. Shouldn’t you have some say as to how these other student leaders view Nicholls State?

There are three candidates for SGA president: Damian Breaux, athletic training junior from Lockport; Steve Escobar, business administration junior from Nicaragua; and Tristan Robert, biology junior from Jennings.

Brittni Lipscomb, birth to 5/early interventionist education junior from Gonzales, and Tamara Caillouet, culinary arts sophomore from Oberlin, are candidates for SGA vice president.

The candidates for SPA vice president are Lea Bonvillain, business administration junior from Thibodaux, and Anthony Fletcher Jr., business administration sophomore from Vacherie.

How much do you know about all these candidates?

Are you secure enough in your knowledge to believe you will cast your vote for the best candidate? The only way to be sure is to take a few minutes and research the candidates’ platforms.

It isn’t a difficult process. If you see these candidates walking around campus, stop them to ask about their platforms; look into advertisements. If worse comes to worse, these students are listed in the telephone and student E-mail directory. Pick up the phone or do an E-mail search and type up a few questions. Be an informed voter!

Even better, actually vote! These elections will be on the Internet, available through the Nicholls home page (http://www.nicholls.edu). Since every Nicholls student has Internet access of some sort (Cenac lab, Ayo lab, WAC lab, etc.), there is no excuse for not voting. It is too convenient to pass up.

Students seem to have opinions. At least we hope they do. Students can use this election as an opportunity to express these opinions. There are a few easy steps to follow. Vote for the candidate you believe will do the best job. After this candidate is installed into his or her office, inundate said official with requests, complaints or suggestions. It is all part of the democratic process.

If you can’t work up the courage to confront these people face to face, check out https://www.thenichollsworth.com for more information about the candidates and a record of what legislation they have passed.

Just remember: if you don’t voice your concerns, there is no chance they will be addressed. Voting is just the first step.