Compliance coordinator to retire

Deanna Falcon, coordinator of compliance for intercollegiate athletics at Nicholls, will retire effective July 1.She said the decision to retire was because of her retirement options and had nothing to do with the ongoing National Collegiate Athletic Association investigation. Falcon said she discussed the decision with her family, which knew that it was not at the most appropriate time in terms of public perception, but decided it was best for her personally.

Falcon had expected to enter the DROP (Deferred Retirement Option Plan) next month and work for another three years. However, because she was busy handling the NCAA investigation she was unable to fully research her retirement status.

Before leaving for San Diego to represent the University before the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions, Falcon went to Baton Rouge to follow up on her retirement plans. Falcon said she was told that she didn’t qualify for DROP.

“I went in planning to work three more years and made the decision when I walked out that I would retire,” Falcon said. “It was totally unexpected.”

Falcon said she was told that she would have to work five more years before qualifying for the three years of DROP. This would have put her working eight, instead of three, more years.

“I loved my job,” Falcon said. “It was not an easy one, but I enjoyed the challenges involved.”

Falcon said she will retire with 20 years of service. She became the compliance coordinator in 1994. Falcon has also served as the director for the Louisiana Job Link Center at Nicholls and an instructor in the English department.

“I have truly loved working with the athletics staff,” Falcon said. “It has been a very positive experience for me.”

Falcon said she does not foresee the loss of eight coaches this season having a great impact on the program.

“It’s not unusual to lose coaches,” she said. “If you look in past history, that’s common here. I don’t believe the fact that several coaches have left will have great negativity on the program. The University has been very lucky to get good coaches hired in their places.