‘Vagina Monologues’ raises more than $4,000

Nicholls State hosted a benefit performance of “The Vagina Monologues” on March 2-4. Six hundred ten audience members attended the play and $4,293 was raised from the production’s ticket sales.

Ten percent of the proceeds from the performance were donated to V-Day, a global non-profit women’s rights organization. Through donations from each performance of “The Vagina Monologues,” V-day is able to continue its worldwide efforts as well as allow various other schools to perform the production.

Each university that sponsors the production brings awareness and financial aid to local non-profit organizations in their communities.

Ninety percent of the proceeds from the performance will be donated to three Houma-Thibodaux area non-profit agencies: Nicholls’ Women’s Resource and Services Center, The Haven and Chez Hope.

Many residents of the Thibodaux and Houma area supported the production despite the controversial subject matter in the play.

“I was glad to see ‘The Vagina Monologues’ come to this area,” Joanne Hanson, Houma community member, said.

Cast members also believe that the performance was successful.

“I was moved by the powerful reception that we have had.” Kimberly Cheramie, psychology graduate student from Cut-Off, said.

“We were nervous, but the reaction was positive. It’s been a great experience,” Jenny Matherne, mass communication sophomore from Des Allemands, said.