Tennis court renovations to be completed by fall semester

In an effort to improve playing conditions for students and student-athletes, the University has entered into a $67,680 contract with No Fault Industries, a sports products company out of Baton Rouge, to resurface and repair Nicholls’ tennis courts. According to Michael Davis, assistant vice president for business affairs for procurement and physical plant operations, the renovations are expected to be complete before the fall semester despite delays created by the excessive rainfall.
The contract includes the resurfacing and painting of the tennis courts, new tennis nets, repairs to the gates and new fencing. The wire fencing will be totally replaced, but the current poles will remain after being straightened and painted. Additionally, the gap between the two sets of courts will be eliminate, and a single fence will be installed between them.
According to Davis and Michael Matherne, director of campus recreation, there is a possibility of relocating the tennis courts near the future recreation center and converting the current tennis court area into additional parking.
“I hope that the recreation center advisory committee will add tennis courts to the plans for the area around the center,” Matherne said. “We know our courts now are very modest, and there is no place to shower or use the bathroom. Moving the courts near the recreation center would take care of that.”
Davis said, “The courts are heavily used by academics, recreation and athletics. It makes sense to put the courts and recreation center in one location and make the tennis court users available to use those facilities.”
According to Davis and Matherne, there is not a lot of space surrounding the current tennis court area for expansion, but the relocation of the courts would allow the current tennis court area to provide parking that is in proximity to academic buildings.
Davis said the renovations are not likely to change the fact that the Nicholls’ tennis team currently plays home matches at the Renaissance Club in Houma.
“The fences surrounding the courts are too close for conference play. However, if the courts are relocated that is a factor that will be taken into consideration,” Davis said.
According to Davis, it has been approximately eight years since the tennis courts were last resurfaced and the new resurfacing should last at least five or six years.