Children learn about filling papal shoes

The question of who will serve as Pope John Paul II’s successor has given way to unique opportunities in the classroom for Catholic school students witnessing the transition for the first time.”My whole life I’ve had one pope,” said Tony Radesky, a 17-year-old senior at Pope John Paul II High School in Slidell. Established in 1980, the school was among the first in the country to carry this pope’s name.

“I’m looking forward to seeing the whole process in action,” said classmate Kraig Prinz, 18, also a senior. Prinz said he expects his religion teachers will help him and fellow students as events unfold.

“They’re sad for the loss, but I think they’re looking forward to seeing the selection process,” he said.

A Catholic educator in Lake Charles is preparing her staff for the influx of questions.

Director of religious education at Immaculate Conception Cathedral School, Catherine Townsend has transcribed The Apostolic Constitution, the 27-page document revised by Pope John Paul II in 1996 that outlines the process by which a new pope is selected, into age-appropriate language for use in the classroom.

“I put it into terms the children will understand,” Townsend said. “This will give the students and teachers a way to understand what’s happening.”

Townsend said The Apostolic Constitution explains the powers of the cardinals, how they prepare for the election of a new pope, how the funeral will proceed, where the election will take place, details of the election procedures and who can attend.

Townsend said the document also addresses such issues as simony, a crime dealing with influencing the election.

“You can’t politic,” Townsend said. “In reading this you learn that in history there were people who tried to influence how the vote would go, and you learn that those people were excommunicated.”

Townsend said she has been surprised by the amount of student interest.

“They’ve been watching the news, reading the news, and they’ve been coming in with many questions,” Townsend said.

“Even the little ones, as young as 3 and 4, came to school asking, ‘Did you know the pope died?'” she said.

Interest is high among older students as well.

“They’re asking a lot of questions,” Richard Berkowitz, principal at Pope John Paul II High School, said.

“These kids really like this pope. They’re concerned about the future and what the next pope will be like,” Berkowitz said.

The school will have a Mass for the pope Wednesday morning. Berkowitz said opportunities for new lesson plans will likely unfold, but right now “we’re going to take it a day a time.”

Townsend said she expects more participation in the school’s “Pope Party” later this month. It’s an annual event where the children play games, read scripture and learn more about the papacy.