Parking decal prices to increase

The parking policy committee voted 15-2 in favor of a $15 increase on parking decals, which will raise the price to $50 for all students and faculty next fall. Parking decal prices were raised $10, from $25 to $35, last semester to raise funds for road and parking lot improvements. Mike Davis, committee chairperson and assistant vice president for business affairs for procurement and physical plant operations, said the most recent increase is due to changes in the original construction plans.

“We initially felt that construction would run around $2.2 or $2.3 million,” Davis said. “We have re-looked at the project and proposed a brand-new, concrete, 300-car, student parking lot just north of the Aquinas Center.”

The location of the proposed parking lot was chosen based on its close proximity to Beauregard and Peltier halls.

The proposed parking lot will cost $829,000. Other added improvements include paving the parking lot behind the Student Publications building and hard surfacing the road between the Student Publications building and Barker Hall, the parking spot around the band practice field and the parking spots in front of Barker Hall. The new plans increased the costs from $2.3 to $3.2 million.

“This will allow us to do what we originally promised to the students,” Davis said. “We are delivering more for the extra money.”

Davis will be presenting the plan to the Student Government Association on April 20. This meeting will be open to all students.

The administration decided to investigate these improvements after the administration and the SGA Senate issued several student surveys.

“Surveys indicated that it is very obvious that students wanted street and parking improvements,” Davis said. “Our intention is to get rid of all limestone and shell and have everything hard surfaced.”

Nicholls has permission from the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors to proceed with the project, but a mandatory final approval cannot be received for several more months. Work should begin this late summer and be finished by the summer of 2006, according to Davis.

The proposed parking lot north of the St. Thomas Aquinas Center will be the first area to begin construction.

After the construction is completed, according to Davis, potholes or the dust created by limestone will no longer bother students. They can also expect better-organized parking lots with easier access and 300 additional parking spots.

“None of the other schools have done what we are doing,” Davis said. “We are making these improvements in one big swoop and other colleges are watching us.”

“It is highly unlikely that we will need any kind of increase in the decals for probably 15 years,” Davis said. “But, I do not want to guarantee anything, because you never know what is going to happen down the road.”

The University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors has placed a limit of $35 on parking decals for an academic year. An academic year consists of the fall and spring semesters. Nicholls has been able to increase the price to $50 by including the summer session. Students buying a parking decal in the fall and spring semesters will be charged $50 even if not attending summer classes. Students buying a parking decal for the summer only will be charged $15.

Even with the increase, Nicholls will not have the highest priced parking decals in the University of Louisiana System. A parking decal at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette currently costs $60. A parking decal at Northwestern State University currently costs $45. Parking decal fees at other University of Louisiana System schools range from $25 to $35.

Students have mixed opinions about the price increase.

“It is horrible,” Lisa Jordan, education sophomore from Patterson, said. “They are already raising tuition.”

“Fifty dollars is steep, and the University should supply parking for students because we pay enough,” Rochelle Breaux, freshman from Houma, said.

Some students believe the increase is justifiable if it increases the number of parking spaces.

“If it is going to give us more space, then I don’t really mind,” Allison Paul, criminal justice senior from Patterson, said. “I just do not want to still have to drive around looking for a spot.”

“If there is place for parking then it is alright with me,” Sarah Owens, marketing sophomore from Luling, said. “If there is still no parking, it will be pointless.”

Funds for parking improvements related to future projects like the recreation center and new residence halls will be provided for in their respective budgets.