SGA president, vice president candidates speak at forum

Editor’s note: Additional information about the candidates is available at www.thenichollsworth.com. The list of motions authored by each candidate during their service in the Senate as well as a Q&A with each candidate participating will be posted by Friday.
The three candidates running for Student Government Association president and the two for SGA vice president spoke to a handful of students at the candidate forum Monday.

Elections will be online from April 4 through April 6. Students will also be voting on the Student Programming Association vice president and Mr. and Ms. Nicholls.

The candidates for SGA president spoke first. Damian Breaux, current SGA president and athletic training junior from Lockport, promised students that although the SGA has been faced with budget cuts in funding student organizations and services, he will not allow another student-assessed SGA fee increase if elected. He said while serving as the SGA president, he has worked with the state office to make sure tuition increases remain reasonable and enacted a Battle of the Branches challenge to get senators out of meetings to meet students.

“Down with bureaucracy,” Breaux said. “The previous Senate focused on issues that only affect the Senate, which I have strongly discouraged this semester. What I can guarantee is 100 percent dedication and service to you, the student.”

Steve Escobar, business administration junior from Nicaragua, pledged to open Senate meetings to students for complaints to be addressed immediately. He said the Senate has complied a list of complaints and suggestions from students but none have been dealt with. He expressed his perception of an SGA president as being someone who should set goals and guide and motivate senators. Escobar said he has already helped put Nicholls on the map through his service as the University’s first and only international student recruiter.

“I’ve been involved in the SGA Senate for three years,” Escobar said. “The SGA needs a change. It’s time for a strong leader. It’s time to bring the government back to the students.”

Tristan Robert, biology junior from Jennings, has based his campaign on recruiting senators and reducing apathy. He said the Senate is less than half full and will lose several graduating senators at the end of the semester. His proposal consists of personally spending approximately one hour a week in a visible spot of the Student Union so students can voice their complaints and concerns. He also hopes to achieve a 50 percent retention rate in the Senate.

“Everyone complains about apathy, but no one goes to fix it,” Robert said. “The solution is not getting the involved students we have to do more but getting more senators so we can do more.”

In response to questions, Breaux said the recreation center land purchase is out of the University’s hands but promised that the land will delay the construction. Breaux said his experience separates him from the other two candidates.

“The fall semester was a transition for me. I was getting my feet wet,” Breaux said. “I didn’t push the senators as much as I should have, but I’ve had a year of experience and have worked up that rapport. If elected for another term, there won’t be a transition period.”

When asked what his greatest accomplishment as president was, Breaux said that the “year isn’t over.” However, he added that increasing student representation on University committees has been a major achievement during his term.

Escobar said the Senate cannot tackle many of the complaints from students. The Senate can only make a recommendation.

“I believe that I will push for those improvements and make sure the administration sees what students want,” he said. “I hate technicalities in Senate meetings and that we want to do something, but because of one minor detail, it can’t be done and must be pushed to the next meeting. I want to be spontaneous in meetings.”

Escobar said there are so many problems on campus that need addressing that he has decided on no specific issues as priorities yet. However, he did mention addressing library hours, visitation hours in the residence halls and the addition of computers to the Student Union.

Robert reiterated the importance of increasing Senate manpower and addressing campus apathy during questioning. He said money isn’t everything when the Senate can provide manpower instead. Robert said the president has little power but the power lies in filling the approximately 40 seats of the Senate.

When asked why he has not campaigned as the other two candidates have, Robert said he hasn’t had the time to organize a campaign because of his heavy academic course load.

“I would rather have my name spread by word of mouth than flyers,” he said. “I took a heavier load this semester so that I can take a lighter load if elected. Just because I’m busy now doesn’t mean I always will be. I want to fix the Senate.”

Vice president candidates also spoke. Brittni Lipscomb, birth to 5/early interventionist education junior from Gonzales, could not be in attendance due to an internship. Jana Hubbell, general studies senior from Schriever and SGA director of rights and grievances, read a letter from Lipscomb emphasizing the importance of voting and the role she played in tackling issues such as smoking and student insurance while serving as a senator and vice president.

“I loved the job the first time,” Lipscomb said in an interview with The Nicholls Worth. “I did my tenure as a senator and feel it is time to move up and accept more responsibility. Besides my school and personal life, SGA is my passion.”

Tamara Caillouet, culinary sophomore from Oberlin, emphasized her accomplishments as a culinary senator for two semesters and a member of the judiciary committee. She said her goal is to get students to become more involved through the SGA. Caillouet also encouraged students to cast their vote for the candidate they believe is most qualified.

“As we are serving you, it’s what you think that counts,” she said.

Nominees for Mr. Nicholls include: Jonathan Serigne, mass communication senior from Chalmette; Gregory Brumfield, government senior from New Orleans; and Justin Zeringue allied health professional practice, senior from Thibodaux.

Nominees for Ms. Nicholls include: Amy Borne, business administration senior from Thibodaux; Jade Campbell, English senior from Lafayette; and Hubbell.