Cuddle up with a classic

A lok back at some classic movies

Cold weather seems like it is here to stay, and there are not too many things to do, either outside or inside. Most of the movies that came out this year were bombs, and most people have seen them twice already, anyway. Maybe it is time to return to the classics and remember what movies are all about.

There are some movies that will never be forgotten, either for their unique sense of humor or the contributions they have made to the world of movies.

Whatever the case, here are a few movies that maybe you have always heard about but never seen, or perhaps you have never heard about them or seen them.

It would be a great injustice for anyone to go through his entire life without at least being exposed in some way to these movies.

For better or for worse, here are a few movies that can be considered “cultural classics” for America.

Citizen Kane

Released in May of 1941, this controversial film has had what most consider to be a profound and lasting effect on the art of motion pictures.

It earned eight Academy Award nominations and won an Oscar for Best Screenplay. In 1998, the film was voted the number one film of all time by the American Film Institute.

Directed by Orson Welles, the film showcased Welles’ creative genius, in cinematography, directing and acting. Welles also played the title role in the movie.

In directing, Welles experimented with camera angles and shots like no movie had prior to this time. Present day movie directors still borrow techniques from this movie and adapt Welles’ ideas into their own.

In the movie, the plot does not follow chronological sequence, as did most movies of that day. The movie begins with the main character’s death and then returns to his childhood.

The film tells the story of a newspaper tycoon with little scruples who makes his reputation as a “wealthy champion of the underprivileged” and does not think twice about creating news to sell more papers.

Real-life newspaper owner William Randolph Hearst became outraged after viewing this movie and prevented its initial release, because the movie obviously depicted his life. Hearst threatened any theater owner who dared show the film.

The film abounds with brilliant shots and well-developed characters. A success in every sense of the word, the film simply presents a picture of America and her tragic love of power and materialism and the corruption it creates.

Dr. Strangelove

Quite possibly one of the funniest videos ever made, this film, directed by Stanley Kubrick, is a slightly insane comedy about a group of military men, who, in trying to prevent a huge nuclear war, actually destroy the world.

Originally conceived as a tense thriller, Kubrick was working on the script when he realized how many of the scenes were very funny and could be adapted into some sort of comedy.

Intensely satirical in nature, the film outlines two psychotic generals who trigger an irreversible attack on Russia with nuclear bombs. The President of the United States is in a helpless state and is forced to watch the destruction of the world from the “war room” in the White House, while he is helpless to stop the inevitable end of the world.

In this frighteningly hilarious film, Peter Sellers plays the three key roles, adding to the absurdity of the movie.

However, the movie is not all laughs and comedy. It received an Oscar nomination in 1965 and received numerous nominations and awards all over the world for acting, directing and screenplay.

Gone with the Wind

What can be said about this classic? It seems to have it all – war, action, romance, intrigue, tragedy and deception.

Often called “the pinnacle of Hollywood moviemaking,” this movie won 10 Academy Awards. More than that, its characters seem to have won a place in everyone’s hearts.

It doesn’t take a great stretch of the imagination to see a little bit of Rhett, Scarlett, Ashley or Melanie inside each of us.

For some reason, these characters, as depicted in Margaret Mitchell’s original book, carry with them a depth of emotion that few fictitious characters seem to be able to capture.

The movie tackles real issues about life in the South and what our country went through during the Civil War period. It doesn’t always paint a rosy picture, but it tells the truth, and gives an intimate glimpse into the characters’ lives.

The movie is also noted in film history because it was the first movie to have an expletive in its script. When the movie was released in 1939, the American public was astounded that a film would dare to use profanity.