Student Union receives name

What has always been known on campus as the Student Union went through a name change during a memorial ceremony Dec. 10 in honor of Donald G. Bollinger.
At this dedication ceremony, University President Dr. Donald J. Ayo, representatives from Nicholls and the community spoke about Bollinger and his contributions to everything in which he was involved.
Father Thomas Bouterie performed the invocation.
Until last month, the Union did not have a formal name. Dr. David Boudreaux, vice president of Institutional Advancement said the reason for this change was simple.
“We just waited for the appropriate moment to name it after the appropriate person,” Boudreaux said.
Bollinger, who died last May, actively participated in all aspects of life.
“He was special to his family, his friends, his community, his church, his state and his nation,” Ayo said in his ceremonial speech.
Bollinger played an important role with the founding of Nicholls Junior College, and helped it to grow into the University we know today.
“Gov. Jimmie Davis had a bill on his desk to make Nicholls Junior College, but he disproved of the idea. He picked up the phone and called Donald Bollinger asking for advice on what to do.
“Mr. Bollinger told him to sign it and convinced him that he was doing the right thing,” Dr. Boudreaux said.
This dedication, prompted by Ayo, was a way for Nicholls to express sincere gratitude to the Bollinger family for all of the time and effort Bollinger put into Nicholls.
“Bollinger led his family to donate for the Bollinger Endowed Chair in Business Administration,” Boudreaux said.
With support from the Student Government Association, this memorial was able to be completed.
Brent Callais, Student Government Association Vice President, had proclaimed the week of Dec. 3 through Dec. 10 “Donald George Bollinger Week” at Nicholls.
A picture of Bollinger will remain in the Union for everyone to remember him.
With great appreciation for all Bollinger has done for everyone, this memorial will stand as a reminder of all he has accomplished.
“He (Bollinger) gave of himself in full measure to all whose lives he touched. And in touching so many, he gave us a legacy,” Ayo said.