Things at Nicholls not ‘Greek’ to adviser

LaToya Bailey, Nicholls alumna of fall 1998, said she gladly accepted her new role as Student Life Coordinator.
“When I heard about the opening, I jumped on the great opportunity,” Bailey said.
Since Jan. 2, Bailey has been reacquainting herself with some familiar territory.
She is a former cheerleader, Greek member, Student Government Association member, resident assistant and house director.
“I’ve been trying to understand the process of everything from the administrative viewpoint,” Bailey said.
She said she has kept herself very busy by getting her new office together, redoing all of her files, redesigning some paperwork and meeting the different presidents of all the organizations.
As Student Life Coordinator, one of Bailey’s many responsibilities is to be Greek advisor.
She hopes to show the Nicholls community the side of Greek life that most students don’t see.
“I want to expose Nicholls students to what there is out in the world, to help them get new ideas from other students on different campuses,” Bailey said.
One of her goals is to widen the viewpoints of students who are involved in Greek life about each sorority and fraternity.
“I am striving to obtain some type of common ground for all of the sororities and fraternities to better understand each other,” she said.
Bailey said she also wants to show students that Greek life is not just about partying.
“A big part of Greek life is the community service, and many students don’t realize it,” she said.
Not only is Bailey the Greek advisor, she is also overseeing the Emerging Leaders program.
Emerging Leaders is a program geared for incoming freshmen who are interested in continuing to build their leadership skills.
She plans to reorganize the program so that more students are aware of its existence.
“I want to redesign the brochures so that students will be more interested in joining the program,” she said.
Typically, students who participate in this program are enrolled in a freshman studies course that enables them to learn the necessary leadership skills that are needed in the work force.
“I really want to give this program a boost. It’s a great program, and I would love to see it grow,” Bailey said.