The Final Countdown

Presidential candidates take over Nicholls for a week
Members of The Nicholls State University Presidential Search Committee spent the week interviewing the six remaining candidates for University President in open sessions in the Donald G. Bollinger Student Union Cotollion Ballroom.

The six candidates who remain in the running for Nicholls’ new president began the interviewing process on campus Monday and continued through Wednesday.
The Nicholls State University Presidential Search Committee interviewed two semifinalists per day in the Donald G. Bollinger Student Union Cotillion Ballroom. The forum was open to the public.
The search committee met for three consecutive days, conducting interviews by questioning candidates on qualifications specific to the university’s needs.  No executive decisions were made. Voting members of the committee are System Board Members Andrea Coudrain and David Guidry, Board Vice Chair E. Gerald Hebert, Lafourche parish community member, Jimmie Marin, Jr., Board Chair Wayne Parker, Robert Shreve of Baton Rouge, Gary Solomon of New Orleans and Winfred Sibile of Sunset.
There is one candidate from the university voting with the committee, history professor and Nicholls Faculty Senate President, Stephen Michot.
The only student on the voting committee is Student Board Member, Davante Lewis. He is a political science major at McNeese State University and the president of their Student Government Association. Lewis was also in attendance at the Presidential Search Breakfast listening to questions and concerns Nicholls students raised. “I’m here to represent the student body of not only Nicholls but of the community,” Lewis said, introducing himself to the other student leaders. “Your voice is my vote.”
The board interviewed candidate Mirta Martin, the current dean and professor of management at Virginia State University, first on Monday morning at 10:15 a.m. One of Martin’s goals is to help advance technology.
“I believe in using 21st century techology to educate a 21st century workforce,” Martin said. “An educated workforce is the future of this country.”
Candidate Allayne “Laynie” Barrilleaux, Vice President of Academic Affairs at Nicholls, was interviewed at 1:30 p.m. Monday afternoon. The only remaining inside hire in the race for Nicholls President reassured her loyalty with the university.
“Nicholls is my passion, and I am truly committed to this university,” Barrilleaux said.
The board interviewed candidate James Limbaugh, Chancellor of Montana State University-Northern, at 10:50 Tuesday morning where Limbaugh explained why he chose to apply at Nicholls.
“What sold me on Nicholls was the students,” Limbaugh said. “Have you seen the ‘Hello’ video that they’ve done? Was that cool or what?”
Candidate Carlisle “Bix” Rathburn III, a special assistant to the vice chancellor for academic affairs for the Texas A&M University System and former president and CEO of Texas A&M University-Texarka, interviewed Tuesday afternoon at 1:30.
In reference to budget cuts, Rathburn said, “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.”
Yesterday morning at 10:15, candidate Bruce Murphy, Vice President for Academic Affairs at Air University, talked about his legacy after his time at Nicholls.
“I have a background in scouting, so I believe you leave the campsite better than you found it,” Murphy said. “I try to do that every place I’ve been.”
Candidate Karla Hughes, provost and vice president for academic affairs and professor at Morehead State University, was the final candidate to be interviewed. She talked about her desire to connect with students personally. “Chocolate is my hallmark,” Hughes said. “Students know if they need a chocolate fix my office is the place to come. That gives me a chance to mentor.”
Prior to their respective public interviews, the candidates met with selected student leaders representing the various organizations, curricular communities and extra curricular communities affiliated with Nicholls State University. 29 students responded to invitations to the breakfast in the Plantation Suite adjacent to the union ballroom. All students were in attendance throughout the week.
“It was an amazing experience for students, faculty and members of the community that Nicholls provided for us,” Anthony Naquin, biology junior from Thibodaux, said. “The breakfasts, public forums where students were allowed to ask questions and social opportunities presented to us really allowed us to connect with the candidates and ask them questions directly.”
Non-voting members of the committee that were present for the breakfast were Nicholls SGA president. Melissa Cloutet and former president, Matthew Jewel.
Non-voting members participating in public interviews were Nicholls Director Emeritus of Alumni Affairs, Deborah Raziano, and search committee chair, Sandra Woodley. Woodley is also president of the University of Louisiana System.
The committee continues to delegate and will announce the two prevailing candidates today at 10 a.m. The full board will meet once more on Sept. 9 to conduct the end of the search process by interviewing the finalists and selecting President of Nicholls State University.