‘Smart Drug,’ Friend or Foe?

Growing student demand of Adderall leads to illicit use and shortages

On college campuses across the nation, there has been an increase of students who take the psychostimulant Adderall, which assists someone with attention deficit disorder, narcolepsy and chronic tiredness to pay greater attention while remaining focused.

When taken with a prescription, this drug, which has become one of the most frequently prescribed drugs in the U.S., is highly efficient and successful. However, problems arise when it is illegally given or sold to those without a prescription. The trafficking or consumption of Adderall, which is a Schedule II stimulant, without a prescription is a felony. However, this law is seldom enforced according to the Washingtonian.

The growing demand for the drug has caused Adderall prescriptions to increase 13.4 percent from 2009 to 2010, with more than 18 million prescriptions written for the drug. There is now a shortage of the drug on the market.

According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, Adderall is twice as likely to be used by a student between the ages of 18-22 than someone of the same age who is not pursuing a full-time education.

Some possible side effects associated with the drug is loss of appetite, restlessness, headaches, dizziness and nausea. When used inappropriately to get high, increase energy or lose weight, suicidal thoughts or actions have been reported, according to the Adderall side effects Web site.

In order to obtain a prescription, one must consult a doctor and exhibit signs of ADD, ADHD, narcolepsy or chronic tiredness.

nursing junior visited her doctor shortly after her enrollment at Nicholls to tell of her inattentiveness in class. After a brief evaluation, she received a prescription with little hassle or inconvenience.

In her experience using Adderall, she has not suffered many of the common side effects. However, the drug has slightly affected her energy level on some occasions.

“My prescription calls for a 20 milligram dose twice a day,” the junior said. “But if I take the second pill in the afternoon for my later classes, by the evening I will begin to feel very tired and lethargic.”

Unlike many who use the medicine, the junior said that the stimulant has no effect on her appetite, and even explained its effectiveness in helping her keep her attention.

“Without it, I find it difficult to concentrate during school,” the junior said. “The medicine definitely helps me stay on task, and when I do not take it, I certainly feel the difference.”

Kyle Crosby, business management senior from Larose, has taken the drug regularly since his sophomore year of high school and is also pleased with its effectiveness.

“It helps me to focus, and I am able to pay greater attention to what my teachers are saying,” Crosby said. “It also maximizes my capacity to study.”

Crosby has never experienced any of the common side effects except for loss of appetite.

On days when Crosby has neglected to take his dosage, he said he has noticed the difference in how he functions.

“When I forget to take my Adderall in the morning, I am inattentive, and I remain very tired all day long,” Crosby said.

As with all prescription drugs, it is easy to obtain this medication without a prescription. It is common, especially in high schools and colleges, for those with prescriptions to either give or sell their pills to friends and fellow students.

Though dangerous and illegal, it has been successful on some students who take it illicitly. One student testified saying that the drug has helped her on numerous occasions and has allowed her to stay awake to study for important exams such as finals. She also said that she has never experienced any major side effects besides the loss of appetite.

When in need of a dosage, she never struggled to find someone who could get her some. She, like Crosby and the junior student, also claims that the drug is highly effective and works well.

“A lot of students on campus use it, so it is normally pretty easy to obtain one for a big test or final,” the student said.

Two student journalists conducted an investigative study at the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee. They tested how quickly they could acquire the prescription drug. Both students entered the library and tapped a stranger on the shoulder. In less than one minute, they were connected to an Adderall supply.

For some, Adderall can be a very helpful tool when needed. However, for others, the drug does not always work as it should.

Taylor Theriot, accounting senior from Bourg, had taken a generic form of the drug for three years before he ultimately stopped using it.

“It helped somewhat, but it eventually became too much of a hassle to take it every day,” Theriot said. “The effectiveness it had on me was not worth the trouble. So instead, I tried to train myself to function without it.”

Theriot has not taken the medication for over a year, and he has since learned to keep attention without it.

“Every now and then I feel like I need it, but now I can remain focused on the task at hand,” Theriot said.

Conversely, not everyone is able to stop taking the drug as easily. Many people develop a dependence on the drug that forms into an addiction.