Condition of Nicholls tennis courts is complete disgrace

After playing one pickup game of tennis on the tennis court this past Saturday, I took advantage of an opportunity to get a firsthand look at the disgrace of the dump Nicholls call its tennis courts.
If you have never played or stepped foot on the tennis courts, it is like playing on permafrost and quicksand at the same time.
The rock hard surface makes it feel like you are playing on the moon with its crater-like cracks, and the dingy tennis nets are ageing and needs to be replaced.
But, since it is the only tennis court on the campus, most Nicholls athletes, students and local residents have no choice but to play on whatever is available to them.
Thibodaux resident and avid tennis follower Jan Simoneaux clearly agrees that the tennis courts are in definite need of repair.
“The surface is hard and uneven. It is very easy to trip and hurt yourself if you are not careful,” Simoneaux said.
Simoneaux, one of many longtime tennis players who call the tennis courts home, thinks that it is time for the University to make some changes.
“I don’t know how the tennis team plays here. I could see if this was an elementary school tennis court we are talking about, but this is a University tennis court we are talking,” Simoneaux said.
Simoneaux is right because it is a shame that Nicholls is a Southland Conference member playing in one of the most competitive conferences in all sports in the NCAA, but its tennis courts look like a scene from “Swamp Thing.”
The tennis courts are so horrific that the tennis team cannot even host home matches on it.
Instead of playing on campus, the tennis team is forced to play home matches at the Renaissance Club in Houma.
This will really hurts the tennis team in the recruiting area.
If you were a prospective tennis athlete looking for a university to call home, would you want to play for a school that does not even play at its own University?
In order to get better athletes on a consistent basis, Nicholls needs to upgrade the condition of the facility.
Building a new tennis court is a great way to jumpstart the Nicholls tennis program back to its winning ways.
Third, the tennis team plays its matches at the Renaissance Club in Houma. This robs the team of developing a fan base with the students by not hosting matches on the campus.
If tennis matches were held here on campus, the tennis team would benefit greatly because students and supporters would not have to go all the way to Houma just to watch a tennis match. They could just go right down the corner.
According to Michael Davis, assistant vice-president of business affairs for procurement and plant operations, help is on the way for the tennis team and students.
“The tennis court project is one of many that has been submitted, and we are just awaiting funding. As we proceed, we are going to completely resurface all eight of those tennis courts that are out there,” Davis said.
Davis also said some of the repairs might be to tear down the gate-fence, have it straightened out. It will also be painted and some new mesh will be placed around the courts.
I think some other minor features the tennis court could use is a drinking fountain or water source for athletes, better bleachers for spectators and possibly a locker room for the tennis team.
Davis said the cost for the entire project might range between $40,000 and $50,000.
Although it might seem like a lot, every cent of it is worth it if Nicholls hopes to revive its tennis program.
If University administrators say the school is dedicated toward student-athletes, then why does tennis team play in a dump?
They are Colonels just like the football, basketball and baseball teams, and like Colonels, they deserve the very best.