Committee chooses 10 semi-finalists for presidency

forty-nine total applications reviewed, Faclosn only one with Nicholls ties

The University of Louisiana System has narrowed the field of 49 presidential applicants to 10 semi-finalists.
Out of the 10, three submitted appliactions on their own, and the remaining candidates were nominations to the ULS board and the presidential search committee.
ULS President and chair of the presidential search commitee, Sally Clausen said the candidates are “thrilled.”
“They are looking forward to the challenge and also to viewing the institutional review,” she said.
Of the 10 semi-finalists, Carroll Falcon, senior vice president/chief academic officer for the University of Louisiana System, is the only candidate with direct ties to Nicholls.
Falcon served Nicholls as assistant professor, associate professor, department head and finally dean of the college of life sciences and technology. He served Nicholls for a total of 25 years before moving on to the ULS.
“I feel I know the University very well, and I have followed what the University has done in the 10 years that I have been at the system office. I know it well; I know its strengths, but I also know its areas of challenges and so forth, and I would like to contribute to make the University even stronger than it is right now,” Falcon said.
Based on the large list of qualifications not only from the ULS Board, but also from faculty, staff, students and the Nicholls community, Falcon said he feels he is “well qualified.”
“I have never stopped being a part of higher education. I think I have an advantage based on the fact that I have seen higher education from a different perspective. I have been able to realize and understand that what we do here we have to do it for the benefit of the students, the parents, the general public and the area that we serve. Those are the things I would emphasize, very strongly I think, if I were president of this University,” Falcon said.
Falcon earned his doctorate of philosophy from the University of Kentucky in Lexington in 1967. Prior to that he received his master’s of science from the same institution, and also a bachelor’s of science from University of Southwestern Louisiana in Lafayette.
Clifford Brock, Ed.D., currently serves as president of Bainbridge College in Bainbridge, Ga. He has served as dean of academic instruction, associate dean of instruction and dean of language arts division at various universities. Brock earned his doctorate in 1982 from Brigham Young University in education curriculum and instruction. He earned his master’s in journalism from the University of Oregon, and his bachelor’s in English from California State College.
Thomas Draude, Brigadier General, currently serves as senior vice president and general manager of USAA Property and Casualty Insurance Group in Tampa, Fla. He has served as senior vice president and general manager of USAA Property and Casualty Insurance Group in Sacramento, Calif., senior vice president in administration and marketing for USAA Federal Savings Bank in San Antonio, Texas and adjunct professor at St. Leo University in Tampa, Fla. Draude earned his master’s in military arts and sciences from the U. S. Army Command and General Staff College. He earned his bachelor’s of science from the U.S. Naval Academy.
David Eisler, D.M.A., currently serves as provost, vice president of academic affairs of Weber State University in Ogden, Utah. He has served as professor of music, dean of college of fine arts and assistant dean of school of fine arts at various universities. Eisler earned his doctorate of musical arts in 1987 from the University of Michigan. He earned his master’s of music from Yale University, and his bachelor’s of music and music teaching credential from the University of Michigan.
Stephen Hulbert, D.Ed., is currently chancellor of the University of Montana in Dillon, Mont. He has served as commissioner of higher education and chief executive officer, provost and vice president for academic affairs and interim president at various universities. He earned his doctorate in educational administration and higher education administration in 1972 from State University of New York. He earned his master’s in counseling and student personnel services from the University of Massachusetts, and his bachelor’s in history and secondary education from Worcester State College.
Allen Meadors, Ph.D., is currently chancellor and professor at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke in Pembroke, N.C. He has served as dean of the college of public health and dean of the college of health at various universities and captain of the United States Air Force. Meadors earned his doctorate in 1981 in administration and education from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Ill. He earned a master’s in health services management from Webster University, a master’s in psychology and human relations from Webster University, a master’s in public administration from the University of Kansas and a master’s in business administration from the University of Northern Colorado. He earned his bachelor’s in business administration from the University of Central Arkansas.
Mark Perkins, Ph. D., is currently senior associate of the American Council on Education in Washington, D.C. He has served as president, chancellor, vice president for administration and professor at various universities. Perkins earned his doctorate in 1976 in psychometrics and statistics from the University of Georgia. He earned his master’s in psychometrics and research design from the University of Georgia, and his bachelor’s in psychology from St. Andrews Presbyterian College.
Martha Wingard Tack, Ph. D., is currently senior executive for presidential initiatives at the Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, Mich. He has served as administrator for the coalition of urban and metropolitan universities, associate dean in the college of education and department head at various universities. Tack earned his doctorate in 1973 in educational administration from the University of Alabama. He earned his master’s in business education from the University of Alabama, and his bachelor’s in business education from Troy State University.
Diane Vines, Ph.D., is currently vice chancellor of external relations and economic development of Oregon University System in Eugene, Ore.
Michael Wartell, Ph.D., is currently chancellor and professor of chemistry of Indiana University-Purdue University in Fort Wayne, Ind. He has served as vice chancellor for academic affairs and professor of chemistry, provost and vice president for academic affairs and dean of the college of letters and science at various universities. Wartell earned his doctorate in 1971 in physical chemistry from Yale University. He earned his master’s in physical chemistry from Yale University, and his bachelor’s in chemistry from the University of New Mexico.
The institutional review is said to be completed by March, to allow the finalists a chance to review the material.
Bill Rivere, head of the alumni association, has been contacted and, beginning today, is making contacts with superindendents, the chamber of commerce, the mayor and other key officials to schedule times for the candidates to meet with them.
“He is organizing people to serve as hosts for the candidates, to pick them up from the airport and show them around the community,” Clausen said.
According to a system official, the committee will not accept late applicants unless deemed necessary following the semifinalist interviews. Calusen said this decsion would be made March 20 based on the open public forums to be held Feb. 27 and 28.
“If the first 10 do not work out, we have andother 10 waiting. We are committed to doing whatever it takes to find the absolute right person for the position,” she said.
“We hope the community will join us in a public setting so they can listen to the interviews and submit their own questions to the applicants,” Clausen said.