No Names knock out Unpredictables 39-37

The No Names used a stifling defense to deliver a knock out punch to the Unpredictables’ 39-37 in women’s intramural basketball action Feb.26 in Shaver Gym.
The No Names dominated the Unpredictables in the first half by holding them to 29 percent shooting from the field and six turnovers.
For the game, the No Names dominated the Unpredictable to 25 percent shooting from the field, 15 percent shooting from the three-point line and 60 percent shooting from the free-throw line.
The No Names shot 40 percent from the field and 56 percent from the free-throw line.
Despite missing their first eight shots of the game, the Unpredictables’ rallied late in the first half to cut the No Names lead to 15-14.
Trailing 30-23 with 5:06 left in the second half, the Unpredictables out-scored the No Names’ 12-8 run to make it an 88-33 game with 51 seconds left.
The No Names ended the game with clutch free throws by senior forward Kui Fletcher, general studies senior from Hawaii.
Fletcher led the No Names with 25 points on the night. Jana James, general studies senior from Anaheim, Calif., and Caley Carter, general studies freshman from Great Bend, Kan., scored four points a piece for the No Names.
Unpredictables guard Michelle Small, health and physical education junior from Harvey, led the team with 17 points. Charity Beard, freshman from Lockport, scored seven points. Danyella Dorsey, biology freshman from Gretna, scored five and Leshea Kent, nursing senior from New Orleans, scored six.
“We knew the Unpredictables were going to come out fast. We didn’t play our best game, but we did hang in there,” Fletcher said.
Despite the loss, Unpredictable feels confident going into the state tournament later this year in Monroe.
“It is not disappointing because we played our best. We played good, and we should be ready for state,” Small said.Lady Lights Out 33, Socit2ya 19
In a turnover-plagued game, the Lady Lights Out defeated Socit2ya 33-19 in women’s intramural action.
In the contest along, both teams committed 30 turnovers. The Lady Lights Out committed 18 and Socit2ya committed 12.
For the contest, the Lady Lights Out shot 41 percent from the field, 50 percent from the three-point line and 57 percent from the free-throw line.
Socit2ya shot 20 percent from the field, zero for four from the three-point line and 57 percent from the free-throw line.
The Lady Lights Out was led by Eugeneyia Granger, nursing freshman from Morgan City, scored 17 points. Telicia Williams, freshman from Avondale, scored eight and Sherese Warren, general studies sophomore from New Orleans, scored three.
Ashley Bock, biology freshman from Grand Prairie, Texas, led the Socit2ya with 10 points and Sabrina Bledsoe, nursing sophomore from Bunker Hill, Ind., scored eight points.
The Lady Lights Out hopes this victory will jumpstart the team’s quest in the state tournament in Monroe later this year.
“Even though we had two losses in the past, we just came out and did our thing. Hopefully, we get to go to the state tournament if the other teams do not go. As a team, we did good tonight,” Warren said.
Even though the Lady Lights Out had more players, Socit2ya had a great time anyway.
“Their size certainly was an advantage for them. We had a lot of girls that really never even played basketball before. We just came out here for fun,” Bock said.

Lights Out 44, State Property 31
In a battle of two of the best intramural basketball teams, Lights Out defeated State Property 44-31 in men’s intramural action last Thursday.
Despite being dominated 20-16 in the first half, Lights Out used their explosive offensive to shutdown State Property in the second half.
Lights Out shot 37 from the field, 22 percent from the three-point line and 77 percent from the free-throw line for the contest.
State Property shot 32 percent from the field, 17 percent from the three-point line and 46 percent from the free-throw line.
With 16 total turnovers, State Property’s bid for a victory and a possible number one seed in the intramural tournament ended.
Leading 32-29 with 4:07 left in the game, Lights Out ended the game with a 10-0 run to seal the victory.
Lights Out was led by Paul Snowden, computer information system sophomore from Harvey, who scored 10 points. Donald Fuselier, health and physical education freshman from New Iberia, scored nine and Frederick Brooks, criminal justice sophomore from New Orleans, scored seven.
State Property was led by Chris Crawford, business junior from Baker, who scored ten points. Marcus Washington, freshman from White Castle, and LaVincio Brown, elementary education junior from Greenwood, Miss., scored six points each.
State Property said the game was a battle of two different halves.
“We had a good first half, but bad second half. We played together as a team in the first half, but in the second half we just got out-played,” Crawford said.
“Defense wins championships and we were able to control the flow of the game. It was a good and competitive game, and I am happy we were able to pull off the win,” Snowden said.