Hulbert to succeed Ayo as nicholls’ fourth President

After two public forums, 49 applicants, two open interviews, visits to the campus and careful consideration of the Presidential Search Committee, Stephen Hulbert has been chosen as the new Nicholls president.
Hulbert, who will be Nicholls’ fourth president, currently serves as Chancellor at The University of Montana-Western in Dillon, Mont. He received his doctorate in education from the State University of New York at Albany in 1972, majoring in Educational Administration/Higher Education Administration.
Hulbert served in almost every level of higher education including being the Commissioner for Higher Education and Chief Executive officer for the Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education.
Sally Clausen, University of Louisiana System president and chair of the presidential search committee, said his salary has been set at $152,000, which is slightly more than what President Donald Ayo makes now. She said the amenities that are normally afforded to a president would also be offered to Hulbert. These include the president’s home, a car and an expense allowance for entertaining. Hulbert will join the Nicholls family on July 1, 2003 when his term begins.
“I was first attracted to the University because of the quality of the institution, academic programs, faculty, staff and students,” Hulbert said.
Clausen said the three finalists were all well-qualified for the position. “The combination of having had the keen interest in Nicholls and the future of the University tilted the favor because he already had those kinds of experiences we know are necessary to take Nicholls to the next level,” she said.
Clausen said the decision did not come until the end of the day last Thursday. “They (the search committee) began thinking, this is it, and it is time to make a choice. They all rendered their preferences, and it was determined comparing all of the skills and personalities,” she said.
George Dennison, president of The University of Montana, has been made aware of Hulbert’s decision to accept the Nicholls presidency. “He is aware that I am resigning as of July first, and we have discussed the interim position and the search process,” Hulbert said.
Upon his arrival, Hulbert plans to spend the first weeks getting attuned to the activities and events that are happening on campus. “I also need to get acquainted with the Thibodaux and Houma area,” he said.
Hulbert said while touring the campus on two occasions he was able to interact with a large number of students. “I was delighted to see the pride they have in the University and the drive they have to want to complete a degree and be a part of Nicholls. I was also pleased at how articulate their feelings are toward the University,” he said.
Hulbert plans to meet with upper level administration to discuss the institutional review and their perspectives on the recommendations. He said the institutional review complied by James Fisher did not contain any information that surprised him. Hulbert has had experience in the past working with regional Universities like Nicholls. “The number of issues that were in the review are challenges shared by most regional universities that are similar to Nicholls,” he said.
Although excited about the position, Hulbert said when first applying he had some concerns over the process. “I had never been involved in a search that was quite as open. I understood that as soon as my application had been accepted and my name was added to the list it would be out there for public discussion. The quality of this institution was just too attractive, so I was more than willing to put my name out there,” Hulbert said.
Clausen was pleased with the search committee and the open process that had been set since the day Ayo announced his retirement. “We set out to involve the community, faculty, staff and students,” she said.
“I have received several e-mail both at home and at the office with expressions of appreciation more for the process being open and non political and also for selecting a good candidate.”