Nicholls facing tuition increase to begin in summer

Students at Nicholls and other schools in the University of Louisiana System will spend 3 percent more to attend classes next academic year.The increase, which adds up to $48 more per fall and spring semester at Nicholls, was passed last week by board overseeing the system.

Tuition per semester at Nicholls will total $1,067.50 beginning in fall 2005, as compared to the current tuition price of $1,115.50. After adding on University and self-assessed fees, the projected total price for students will equal $1,688.95.

“Increases are never going to stop until the state legislature realizes how important higher education is,” Damian Breaux, Student Government Association president, said.

According to the financial aid office, TOPS will cover the tuition increase.

Michael Naquin, assistant vice president for business affairs, said this is the third consecutive 3 percent tuition increase at ULS institutions. Increases were implemented in the summers of 2003, 2004 and now 2005. The Louisiana legislature gave university management boards permission to raise tuition by a maximum of 3 percent per year.

Naquin said the revenue from the tuition increase will go into the University’s operating budget.

He said too many variables exist for him to predict whether tuition increases will continue in the future. “It all depends on how much state money goes to the universities and whether the legislature authorizes more increases,” he said.

Breaux said for Nicholls to be able to compete with other universities, tuition increases are unavoidable.

“If you look at the stats, Nicholls remains one of the Louisiana universities with the lowest tuitions. However, we also get some of the lowest state appropriations in the region, and that’s what’s holding us back.