Play addresses issues, concerns of women globally

Playwright Eve Ensler wrote “The Vagina Monologues,” which has led to a global campaign to end violence against women, after conducting interviews with more than 200 women about their memories and experiences regarding sexuality. In the performance, a reader or series of readers present a series of soliloquies that deal with sexuality, and in some cases sexual abuse.

“The Vagina Monologues” is only one part of V-Day, a campaign that has worked to promote prevention of violence against women. V-Day has worked with established non-profit organizations in Afghanistan, Kenya, Bosnia, Croatia and other nations.

“V-Day helps to create a momentum and a movement within societal bounds,” Rina Clarke, the play’s director and Greek Life adviser for the Office of Student Life, said.

Since the founding of the V-Day College Campaign, a movement to encourage university communities to host productions of the play on or around Feb. 14, the production has been performed on more than 300 college campuses across the world. These performances have generated over $6 million in support of V-Day and other non-profit organizations working to promote awareness and prevention of violence against women.

The effects of the play have been felt on campuses across south Louisiana. The University of Louisiana at Lafayette, along with Southeastern University, Loyola University, Tulane University and Louisiana Technical College have also brought the production to their campuses.

The play’s subject matter, however, has not always been a welcome topic of discussion. Nicholls students and faculty alike have expressed their concerns regarding the language used in the script.

“Some people aren’t comfortable with the word vagina being thrown around campus,” Jarad Faucheaux, freshman from Raceland, said

Many students, however, believe that the performance will benefit the Nicholls community.

“I’m excited about it. I haven’t heard much about it, but it’s going to be interesting,” Allison Pappa, freshman from Covington, said.

Other students agree that the play will enrich Nicholls’ campus.

“It’s an educational experience,” Rudy Thibodaux, junior from Marrero, said.

Overall the members of the production believe that administration and students have been receptive to the production.