Jindal proposes TOPS extension for re-enlisted veterans

U.S. Army Major Mark Bolton speaks about a soldier’s sacrifices during the Veteran’s Day ceremony Nov. 11, 2011 in the quadrangle.m

Gov. Bobby Jindal proposed during this legislative session to increase the TOPS eligibility time frame for veterans who want to reenlist in the military.

The governor’s new proposal will allow veterans to take advantage of their TOPS awards for up to one year after active duty in the military.

Courtney Cassard, director of enrollment services, said that one year is adequate to readjust to the responsibilities of being a full time student for some veterans. She said the veteran student population is completely diverse and at different stages of their lives and academic careers.

“Some come to the University straight out of the military, fresh off the battlefield, while others work for a few years before returning to school,” Cassard said. “Every person is different.”

The current criteria for TOPS requires veterans to enroll in a higher education institution by the fifth anniversary of their high school graduation. If a veteran is asked to continue their enrollment with the military, they are eligible for a waiver to keep their TOPS eligibility. However, students who voluntarily re-enlist are not able to retain their scholarship.

Cassard said there have been a few Nicholls’ students who did not receive TOPS because they chose to re-enlist or were denied because they did not meet the requirements.

“I think any bill that makes it easier for service members to claim benefits they have earned is a good thing,” Cassard said.

In a press release from the Louisiana Department of Veteran Affairs, Jindal expressed the importance of this proposal that would benefit service men and women.

“The bottom line is that veterans should not be penalized for serving our country and committing to another tour of duty,” Jindal said. “Veterans should not be forced to choose between their education and fighting for our freedom, and this legislation will fix a loophole in the system that was treating our veterans unfairly.”

Although TOPS pays for tuition and fees, students must meet certain grade point average requirements and enroll in a set number of classes during an academic year in order to renew their rewards.

Jindal has taken action to allow veterans more time to take advantage of their TOPS rewards. In the meantime, the Post-9/11 GI Bill is an option for veterans who are denied their TOPS scholarship.

According to the United States Department of Veteran Affairs, the bill put into effect on August 1, 2009 is open to veterans for up to 15 years after their release from active duty.

The bill does not require a certain GPA and covers up to $17,500 per academic year. It also covers a monthly housing allowance and the cost of books up to $1,000. In many cases, veterans can receive more aid through the Post-9/11 GI Bill, which is provided for 36 months of education, than through TOPS.

A decision on Jindal’s TOPS proposal will take place during the current Louisiana legislative session that began on March 12.