Was the debut of UFC flyweights a success?

The UFC debuted their flyweight division on UFC on FX 2 last night and it resulted in fast-paced action, a thunderous right hand, and an unpredictable controversy.

Demetrious Johnson, Ian McCall, Joe Benavidez and Yasuhiro Urushitani fought in a tournament style format with only four fighters. After two exciting bouts, Johnson defeated McCall by decision and Benavidez defeated Urushitani by TKO.

Benavidez and Johnson were supposed to meet in the finals to determine the first flyweight champion in UFC history, but after last night’s events, that fight will either be delayed or cancelled.

At the UFC on FX 2 post-fight presser, UFC president Dana White announced that the commission messed up on the scorecards for the Johnson and McCall fight, and there should have been a sudden death round to determine the winner.

That is an unforgivable mistake, and it really puts a sour taste on an exciting night of fights. So given the fact that the scoring of the fight was botched, could the night still be deemed a success?

I thought the flyweight fights were as advertised, as they displayed the speed and athleticism that only the 125-pound guys can display in the Octagon. Benavidez’s highlight TKO was by far the best highlight of the night, and it looks like he’s going to possess the heaviest hands in the UFC’s newest division.

Urushitani kept circling to his left, and right when the second round started, Benavidez threw a vicious right hook that sent him to the canvas. That came as no surprise to me because I expected Benavidez to pull off the victory, and, quite frankly, I expected Johnson to pull off the victory against McCall.

I thought Benavidez and Johnson were by far the best fighters in this four-man tournament, but I must admit that McCall really impressed me. After Johnson took the first two rounds in the fight, McCall really turned it up in the third round.

McCall had Johnson in all sorts of trouble at the end of the third round, holding Johnson’s back with two hooks in. From there he rained down punches, and I really thought he was going to stop the fight. He most likely would have if he would not have stopped to try and get the crowd into it.

He only had 10 seconds to work with and try to finish the fight, and he spent valuable time trying to get the crowd to get behind him. After the fight, veteran voice of the Octagon read off the scorecards and Johnson got the split decision.

The fans were outraged by the decision, but the only argument McCall had was that the last round should have been scored a 10-8 rather than 10-9, which would have resulted in a draw.

It was not until after the fight that White announced that it should have been a draw, and now both of these fighters will have to do it again as soon as possible.

When you think about it, the tournament had everything that a good story needs. It had excitement, drama and controversy.

Because of this, I can’t see how anyone could say the first round of this four-man tournament was anything but a success, and quite frankly, I can’t wait to see McCall and Johnson tear it up again.