Smith named player of the week

Jeremy Smith, senior guard from New Orleans, brings the ball down the court March 3 in the game against Southeastern.

Nicholls redshirt sophomore guard Jeremy Smith was named the College Sports Madness Southland Conference player of the week for his performances against McNeese and Central Arkansas two weeks ago.

Smith averaged 15 points, 7.5 rebounds and four assists in both games for the Colonels. Smith said the award meant a lot to him, and he wanted to thank his coaches and teammates for pushing him.

“I want to thank them for pushing me, even when I think I’m not going hard enough, and keeping me up when I have my low days,” Smith said.

Smith attributed his performances to working hard, and though he said it was cliché, he said his production has made him a true believer of working hard in the gym.

“You have to do a little overtime,” Smith said. “After practice, before practice and when nobody’s around, you have to put the (work) in.”

Though the Colonels finished the regular season (9-18), they won four games and lost four games in the month of February and started to get it together.

“It was pretty much now or never if we wanted to do something special and try to make a run in the conference tournament,” Smith said.

Because of the Colonels short bench rotation, Smith, along with other young teammates, received more playing time. Smith is averaging 7.4 points per game and is shooting 56 percent from the field.

Smith believes the future is bright for the Colonels because of all of their youth, and that it is all about the bigger future. He said he sees the talent that is on the team and believes the team will benefit from all of the experience this season has given them.

“Right now, if we pick up the pace, next season we return everybody, so we have a chance to be better. We have a chance to be one of the best teams in the conference,” Smith said.