Sculptor brings artwork to Nicholls

Nicholls art senior Stephen Marcel, from Houma, spray paints on Ira Hill’s American Flag Sculpture.

Freedom of expression came to the University last week with sculptor Ira Hill’s American flag that was on display in the yard between the La Maison du Bayou Apartments and Acadia Drive.

Art instructor Michael Williams invited Hill to bring the steel artwork entitled “Color My Flag with Freedom” from his hometown of Tallahassee, Fla. to the University as part of his national tour.

All students were welcome to use the flag as a canvas to express their thoughts on America. According to Hill, graffiti is self expression for all to see, but it does not last forever. It will only exist until the next movement of free expression arrives. He said too many people fall into the belief that graffiti is a taboo behavior.

“I like graffiti, because it is similar to the American spirit with the attitude of ‘I’m just going to do it,’ ” Hill said.

Kyrstin Dees, culinary arts and dietetics sophomore, painted the phrase “Free to live, love and learn” on the flag. Dees said she chose this statement because “a lot of countries aren’t guaranteed the same rights as America.”

Another expression added to the flag during its weeklong stay at the University was, “This side up.” Hill said the placement of the phrase was unique at the bottom right hand corner since the upside down flag is seen as a symbol of distress for our country.

Hill conceived this idea of expression on July 4, 2010. He set the completion date for July 4, 2011, but its actual debut was on Oct. 15, 2011 at the Occupy Tallahassee Rally.

The project was funded through supporters on kickstarter.com, a Web site that helps artists raise money for their projects. His goal for the project was $4,080, but the Web site helped him to raise over $5,000 to construct the 8 by 16 foot long raw steel flag. It took 60 days to achieve his goal and five days to weld the flag together.

Anyone who showed support through donations was able to have their name or a loved one’s name welded into one of the stars or stripes on the flag, which are represented in low relief.

After Nicholls, Hill said he plans to make a stop in New Orleans and then travel to Hattiesburg, Miss. The sculptor plans to raise additional money to bring the flag on a larger tour across America. His ultimate goal is to bring it to the 2012 Republican and Democratic Conventions.

When the tour is over, Hill said he wants to place the flag in a location where people can continue to express themselves.

“I’m just presenting an idea for people to respond to,” he said. “It is our responsibility to solve these problems on the flag.”

During his time at the University, Hill took photos and met with students to document what they thought about the graffiti flag.

“As an American artist, you want to talk to all kinds of people about your work,” he said.

To see more of Hill’s expressions of freedom, visit his website at www.IraHillSculpture.com.