Organizations help St. Jude

The Student Government Association and the Student Dietetics Association are raising money to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Nov. 7 to Nov. 11.

SGA and SDA have teamed up with the eight other schools in the University of Louisiana System to help raise the money. The UL System includes Grambling State University, University of Louisiana at Monroe, Louisiana Tech University, Southeastern State University, Northwestern State University, Mcneese State University, University of Louisiana at Lafayette and Nicholls State University.

“St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital was chosen by the UL System as a whole,” Lohan Kotze, SGA treasurer, said.

According to stjude.org, the majority of the daily operations are primarily paid for by public contributions. All over the country, communities are hosting and supporting events that raise funds on behalf of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Thanks to these efforts, they have not had to stop their mission to research cures and save children.

“Children are the future of this country, and every little bit that we can do to ensure their well-being and health will go a long way,” Kotze said.

“Thanks to donors, St. Jude families never pay for treatment not covered by insurance, and no child is ever denied treatment because of the family’s inability to pay.”

SGA is hosting numerous events from Nov. 7 to Nov. 11.

On Nov. 7 there will be a table set up in the Student Union where students can get an informative handout and a schedule for the remaining days.

“There will also be raffle tickets sold for three gift baskets—one donated by Delta Zeta Sorority and two donated by Phi Mu Fraternity,” Kotze said.

The gift baskets will include treats donated by Delta Zeta and Phi Mu.

Nov. 8 is Bing Cherry’s Frozen Yogurt Day. Students will receive a discount for purchasing yogurt on this day.

“Bing Cherry will also donate 25 percent of proceeds during the week to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital,” Kotze said.

On Nov. 9, there will be a basketball tournament held in Stopher Gym from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. There will be teams of three that will play for prizes. The entry fee is $30 a team. All proceeds will go to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

“The winning team will receive a $300 reward,” Kotze said.

On Nov. 10, there will be a concert held at The Foundry from 9 p.m. to midnight. Local artist John Daigle will perform.

“This is a chance for students to come out and have a good time,” Kotze said.

On Nov. 11, the three gift basket winners will be announced.

There will also be a two-week span where SGA and SDA will do a food drive on campus. Boxes will be placed in academic buildings, dormitories and the Student Union.

“People should come and support the events and have a good time,” Kotze said.