Can we do it?

The “Nicholls Can” project is a community service initiative that will involve the entire Nicholls community in donating cans and other nonperishable items throughout March to food banks in the area.

Jean Donegan, art professor and department head, jumpstarted the idea.

“A lot of organizations do things like this, but my idea was to do it University-wide,” Donegan said. “If everyone at the University brings only one can, we could donate 7,000 cans.”

The University will conduct the food drive twice a year. There are six food banks in the surrounding cities including Thibodaux, Houma, Raceland, Galliano, Morgan City and Dulac. Donations will be split between three of these food banks each semester.

According to Donegan, 3,468 people used the services of the Thibodaux Food Bank in 2011, which is a 30 percent increase compared to 2010. Last year, 5.6 million households in the U.S. used emergency supplies from a food bank at least once.

“We could do a lot for the community,” Donegan said. “This will give everyone the opportunity to help, and as a University, we can make an impact.”

Food banks provide service to people who are chronically in need. Donegan gave the examples of an elderly man on a fixed income who must choose between filling his prescription or buying groceries, or a mother who suddenly becomes the only provider for her children.

“Given the economy, we have so many people right now who really are in need,” Chiasson said. “People are starving in America and we haven’t seen that since the Great Depression. We have to do what we can.”

Signs, posters and others graphics for the “Nicholls Can” project were designed by art students and members of American Institute of Graphic Arts, and completed under the direction of Trisha Dubina, assistant professor of art.

“We hope to have a flyer in every classroom, color posters in every hall, and yard signs,” Donegan said. “We’ll start collecting cans on campus on March 9.”

Donation boxes will be in various University departments, the Union and Ellender Memorial Library. Cans and other nonperishable items should be placed in the collection boxes. Other items in high demand at the food banks include toilet paper, shampoo, Kleenex, floor cleaner, bath soap, tooth paste, sanitary napkins, washing powder, Comet and dishwashing liquid because these items cannot be purchased with food stamps.

The collection will continue until March 27, which is the final pickup date for University donations.

Deborah Raziano, director of Alumni Affairs, has contacted Nicholls alumni with businesses to set up drop off locations at their businesses.

“When we ask people in the community to help Nicholls, we have to be able to give back in some way,” Raziano said.

Some Nicholls alumni are also participating by putting a donation box in their high school art classrooms.

Mike Davis, assistant vice president of facilities, said the nonperishable items will be stored in the Environmental Health and Safety building during the drive.

“Everything will be split three ways, including cash donations,” Donegan said. “Cash donations are helpful because the food banks can purchase necessary items that were not donated.”

Cash or check donations may be brought to the art department or Vice President for Institutional Advancement David Boudreaux’s office, vice president for institutional advancement. Checks should be made to “NSU Foundation – Nicholls Can Food Donation”.

All collected items will be distributed to the food banks on March 28. Raziano said the greek organizations will pick up and deliver the donated items to each destination.

Tommy Ponson, director of student life, said the greek organizations are also using the “Nicholls Can” project as a competition during Greek Week, March 19 to 23.

Lawrence Howell, executive vice president, said this is a great way for the University to get involved as a whole.

“So many people are hurting with the economy and this can be a powerful donation,” Howell said. “We appreciate Jean Donegan and the art department for taking the bull by the horns.”

Donegan said the project has been and will be a collaborative effort.

“We have had great participation,” Donegan said. “The faculty and staff have been very enthusiastic. I’m hoping that it’s a big success.”

Anyone wanting to be involved should contact the department of art at 448-4595.

The kick-off “Nicholls Can” Pep Rally is today from 10:30a.m. to noon in front of the Student Union.

Felicia Harry, mass communication instructor, and her MACO 330 class organized the Pep Rally.

“Nicholls needs to have a strong presence in this community and when we were facing budget cuts we expected community support,” Harry said. “This is our way to give back.”

Lloyd Chiasson, distinguished service professor of mass communication, will emcee the event. He said this campaign is a great idea that is easy for everyone to participate in.

“I want to make sure that every one of my students brings at least one can,” Chiasson said. “No matter how poor we say we are, we are so much better off than other people.”