NCAA investigator visits Nicholls

An NCAA representative was at Nicholls Monday and Tuesday to assist the University with its ongoing investigation of the academic fraud incident within the athletics department.Michael Delaune, director of University Relations, announced yesterday that 15 players have not yet been certified by the NCAA as eligible to compete in the 2004 football season.

Delaune also said that the NCAA “is reviewing the University’s request for waivers on each of the students and is expected to rule on the waivers in the near future, though not in time for this week’s football game.”
Delaune said the 15 players will not play until the NCAA makes a final decision.

Although several of the players being investigated practiced with the team during preseason preparation for the season, Delaune said the decision as to whether the players dress or stand with the team during the Eastern Washington contest tonight is a team decision and will come from head football coach Jay Thomas and athletic director Rob Bernardi.

Delaune said the University will not release the names of the student-athletes who have not yet been certified until the NCAA makes a ruling.

Delaune said Nicholls president Stephen Hulbert is cooperating with NCAA and Southland Conference officials during the investigation.

“He is genuinely concerned,” Delaune said. “He’s been straight forward with everyone about the situation.”

Nicholls started the investigation when it was discovered that several football players attempted to transfer summer coursework from a correspondence course at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

The NCAA and the Southland Conference are now assisting the University in the investigation.

The University said in a press release that a full investigation will continue until the matter is resolved.

The Colonels are set to play Eastern Washington tonight at 6:30 p.m. in Guidry Stadium.