Courses to enrich and develop community

Nicholls’ Office of Continuing Education has released its Fall 2009 catalog of non-credit courses. Each semester, the University releases a brochure of available courses to the public. These non-credit courses are open to the public and do not require the participants to have a high school diploma. They are meant to broaden the education and interests of those who attend.

These non-credit courses are divided into two categories: community enrichment and professional development.

The community enrichment programs were developed to create new interest in participants. Pilates, walking and jogging, weight training, Hatha Yoga and many other options are available.

The personal development courses are designed and focused more toward those who are currently in the workplace and need to update or hone their skills. These courses range from Introduction to Windows XP: level 1, to The Complete Financial Management Workshop.

The duration of these courses is as diverse as the subjects themselves.

“Some classes are a one-time deal. Others can last anywhere from a month to several meetings in a session,” Brandie Toups, director of the Office of Continuing Education, said.

The cost of these courses also varies. While some are $35 to $45 and others $195 to $395, the average cost is about $130 per class. Additional fees may be required for textbooks and manuals.

“Certificates of completion are available for a number of these courses,” Toups said.

Those that wish to register may do so by mail, credit card, Internet or by visiting the on-campus office at 300 Ardoyne Drive.

For more information visit: www.nicholls.edu/conted.