Summer work schedule beneficial

In reactions to recent budget cuts, Nicholls reduced costs over the summer by altering work hours to save electricity and lower energy costs.The new work schedule entailed a 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. schedule for Monday through Thursday and a 7:30 a.m. til 1:30 a.m. work schedule on Fridays. Previously, employees worked 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. University executives have confidence in the summer work schedule and have noticed a difference.

The school has saved energy drastically over the summer. With less work time, buildings were used less, and electronics were used for smaller amounts of time. This resulted in less kilowatt hours for energy billing. Mike Davis, Assistant Vice President of Administration, said Nicholls did reduce energy consumption at school over the summer, and this can be seen by looking at the number of kilowatt hours used. Reports from the purchasing department show that in July 2008, Nicholls used 2,704,800 kilowatt hours. This July Nicholls used 2,312,800 kilowatt hours.

At the same time, faculty and staff turned up air conditioners and turned off unused electronics. The new schedule made life a little more complex for some Nicholls workers. Employees with families had longer work days Monday through Thursday, and less time to complete home chores on those days, however some enjoyed extra time off on Friday for such activities. Every day of the summer, the hard work did pay off. Mike Davis said change is needed and faculty, staff, and students need to work together to reduce energy costs.

During the summer, the schedule was easier to maintain without crowding students into classrooms while certain unused parts of some buildings were cut off from electricity. Since Beauregard is still being renovated, it would be hard to fix the fall semester on the new work schedule. However, the issue of the schedule returning will be decided at a later date. John Ford, Director of Human Resources, said, after evaluation, the schedule may return but not until next summer.