Lady Colonels fall against Trojans in double overtime

Sophomore midfielder Alana DeHart races after the ball during last Fridays game against Southern Miss.  The game marked the Colonels first season win.
Photo by: Bridget Mire
Sophomore midfielder Alana DeHart races after the ball during last Friday’s game against Southern Miss. The game marked the Colonels’ first season win.

Two Lady Colonel goals were not enough to overcome the Trojans of Troy University in double overtime on Sunday August 30 ending the game with a score of 3-2 in Troy’s favor.Junior forward Kaity Mattsson and sophomore midfielder Carolyn Noble scored both goals for the Lady Colonels, both in the second half.

Neither the Lady Colonels nor the Trojans could pull off a goal in the first half.

The Lady Colonels had four opportunities to score but were turned down by the Trojans defense. However, the Lady Colonels forced a miss from all five Trojans shots.

After opening up the second half, Mattsson scored the first goal within 30 seconds giving the Lady Colonels a 1-0 lead.

The Trojans answered the Lady Colonel goal about 11 minutes later tying the game 1-1 from a free kick after a handball from the Lady Colonels.

A team effort was put into the second Lady Colonel goal. Sophomore midfielder Samantha Etherington was given a free kick which sophomore defender Keisha Brown headed past Trojan defenders allowing Noble to drive and score.

This goal allowed a 1 goal advantage for the Colonels with 12 minutes left in the game; however, the Trojans were able to tie the game once again with six minutes left.

Neither side was able to score before the end of the allotted time sending the teams into overtime.

Both teams did not score in the first 10 minute overtime sending them into a second overtime.

With the crowd seeing that the game could possibly end in a tie, nine minutes into the second overtime, the Trojans headed the ball past the Lady Colonels allowing the Trojans to keep their undefeated season thus far sending the Lady Colonels to a 1-2-0 season record.

The Colonels will take the field Friday, Sept. 4 at home taking on the Lady Techsters of Louisiana Tech with kickoff set for 4 p.m. Students can get in free with their student ID.