Nicholls alumnus, former employee wins Senate seat

Norby Chabert, former marketing director at Nicholls, won the Senate run-off election Saturday against his opponent Brent Callais.
Photo by: submitted photo

Nicholls’ former marketing director Norbert “Norby” Chabert will take over the state Senate District 20 seat after defeating competitor, former Lafourche Parish Councilman Brent Callais, in a runoff election Saturday, earning about 54 percent of the 17,626 votes cast. The second election came after the two men beat out state Rep. Damon Baldone, D-Houma, in the Aug. 1 primary election for the seat, which Reggie Dupre vacated in July to lead the Terrebonne Conservation and Levee District.

“I am naturally humbled by the support we’ve received across the district,” Chabert said.

Chabert’s father Leonard and brother Marty both held the same seat. The Chabert family history in the Senate dates back to the 1980s, Chabert said, and their legislative service to 1972. His father, who died in 1991, inspired Chabert to follow in his footsteps.

“I learned from him what it means to serve and how important it is to use a position like that to help as many people as you can,” Chabert said. “My friends saw me grow up in government and watched what my family had done and strongly encouraged me to pursue the seat.”

Chabert graduated from Nicholls State University in 2001 with a bachelor’s degree in government and has since worked with several Louisiana politicians, including former congressman Billy Tauzin and U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La.

After working in government, Chabert returned to his alma mater as Associate Director of Development, Marketing and Promotions for athletics in 2007. He resigned from the position in June to focus on campaigning but said he will continue to support the University in light of the recent budget cuts.

“It’s certainly no rumor that they are considering downsizing some universities and turning them into two-year institutions. We just need to do all we can to make sure Nicholls is not one of them,” Chabert said. “You can’t punish a University that has grown as fast as Nicholls has grown.”

Chabert also hopes to fight for funding for Chabert Medical Center, named for his father. He serves on the Chabert Foundation Board of Directors, which has earned nearly $500,000 for the hospital.

“It’s essential that the poor and uninsured have a place to go to receive quality healthcare, and Chabert Medical Center has been doing that since the late ’70s,” Chabert said. “Protecting the hospital is close to my heart.”

The Little Caillou native also plans to fight for coastal restoration and better levee protection. After his family’s home flooded twice in the past five years due to Hurricanes Katrina and Gustav, Chabert realized the lack of assistance in preserving the Bayou Region.

“From where I’m from, people down here are flooded,” Chabert said. “Enough is enough. We’re tired of rebuilding, and we need help.”

Among the other goals Chabert hopes to reach: lowering taxes of small businesses, protecting the seafood industry, addressing the insurance crisis, increasing tourism and funding local ports.

“I have practical life experiences,” Chabert said. “I don’t think that anybody can fight to protect Leonard Chabert Medical Center more than his son, and I don’t think someone can fight levee protection more than someone who’s had their house flooded by the storms.”

Aside from this practical knowledge and experience, the 33-year-old says he can provide District 20 with a new generation of leadership.

“It’s been a long time since my opponents have been on a college campus,” Chabert said. “It’s time to change, to be active and to vote. We’ve been led by our fathers and grandfathers far too long.