Center midfielder from Canada discuses second year

Sophomore Carolyn Noble plays midfielder and defender for the Colonels.
Photo by: Kameryn Rome

Sophomore center midfielder Carolyn Noble begins her season with the Lady Colonel’s soccer team as one of a few foreign players.Noble, a Burlington, Ontario native, is in her second year at Nicholls as she accumulated nine starts and appeared in 15 of 18 Colonel matches in her 2008 freshman year.

In high school, her club team, Burlington Flash, won the three most prestigious titles in Ontario – the OYSL Championship, Ontario Cup and Ontario Indoor Cup. Noble was also a letter winner in soccer, volleyball and track & field.

After the Lady Colonel’s recorded their first win of the 2009 season, Noble waits with me and takes the time to answer a few questions about herself and her home country, Canada.

Q: Who would you say your favorite player is?

A: “Wayne Rooney, he’s my favorite. I love his stuff, he’s good. He played for England in 2004 in the Euro Cup. My best friend’s sister is actually in a TV show with him right now, so its pretty cool.”

Q: What is your favorite team?

A: “Toronto FC. I don’t know if you heard of them, they are in the MLS league. I’m from Canada so…”

Q: Then why Nicholls?

A: “I think that Nicholls is a smaller space school, so you have time to kind of shine. Whether it’s your classes or on the field, people know you. I like that about Nicholls. You have support from all the people coming out and you get to know everybody.”

Q: So how was the transition from another country to here?

A: “I thought it would be a lot harder than it was, but when I got here the players and coaches just make you feel like family. It was pretty easy, at least easier than I expected.”

Q: What was the hardest thing about moving to Louisiana?

A: “Definitely leaving my family and friends, but the weather here is so different. It’s so humid and so hot, I’m not used to that. I’m used to playing in the snow. That was definitely a hard transition, but I’ll get used to it.”

Q: What do you think of the food here?

A: “I actually found out I’m allergic to shellfish! I ate some crab and had a reaction so I haven’t been able to try much of it. It’s horrible!”

Q: Is the position you are playing right now your favorite?

A: “To be honest, it is. Throughout my years, I’ve been put everywhere. But definitely the center midfield is my preferred position. Last game I played forward so I feel like I just kind of fill in, but center midfield is my favorite.”

Q: What’s your favorite thing to do off the field?

A: “I still love to exercise, I’m a fitness fanatic! Running, I love hanging out with my friends, stuff like that.”

Q: So you hang out with the team a lot?

A: “The team is all I’m ever with. I feel like I have no other friends besides the team sometimes. We’re a good team, so it really doesn’t matter to me.”

Q: What is your overall favorite thing about playing soccer?

A: “The release from everything, you just get on this field and nothing else matters. It’s cool that way.