Career Services offers job-seeking help

Carolyn Gatti, assistant director of University recruiting graduate & adult studies from Natchitoches, speaks with a graduate hopeful about Northwestern State at NSU Career Day on Sept. 1, 2009.

The office of Career Services offers students a database to help find jobs after graduation.

The database, College Central Network, has a link on the office of Career Services homepage. The database can be accessed by stu– dents and alumni, as well as the companies with jobs posted in the database.

“Students can go into the data- base and upload their resume for future employers to go through,” director of Career Services Kristie Goulas said.

There are 66 jobs in the database as of September 2011, as com- pared to the 27 jobs that were there in the database November 2010. This shows that more companies are coming to the University look- ing for students with degrees.

Students should upload their resumes as soon as they start job searching. If any student needs as- sistance with their resume they can visit Goulas in Career Services lo- cated in Babington Hall.

According to classesandcareers. com, “Only 56 percent of college

graduates in 2009 were able to find a job after graduation, as compared to the 90 percent in 2006/2007.”

The solution to this problem depends on what graduates do in preparation for their job search.

When students are starting their job search, “they should be dili- gent in their search,” Goulas said. Students should apply to as many places as possible.

According to classesandcareers. com, “a student should not wait until the year they graduate but start looking at least two years in advance.”

Being prepared for job searching starts with research on the compa- nies to which students are apply- ing. Students should try to find out what the company primarily does. Students should also have ques- tions prepared about the job they are pursuing, Goulas said.

“An interview does not mean you have to take the job.” Goulas said.

An interview goes both ways, and the company gets a chance to get to know the student as the stu- dent gets to know the company.

“Students’ biggest problem is that they are limiting themselves on the possibilities to the type of jobs

that are out there,” Goulas said. Students should pick an industry and go in open-minded. As an ap- plicant, students should not expect to walk into the company in a man-

agement position.

“Companies are looking for

more college-educated students

to be in upper level positions, but these companies would rather someone move up in the ranks than an outside person pulled in,” Goulas said.

“Just because a student has to move for a job does not mean the student cannot come back to their

hometown,” Goulas said. According to classesandcareers.

com, a student should “look for internship opportunities and part- time work with firms, businesses, organizations and companies.” A student should be persistent in their job pursuit.