Sports see new faces

Freshmen are not the only new faces on the Nicholls State campus as the athletic staff adds eight new members. The new additions include Shaun Duhe, head athletics trainer; Dylan Harrison, soccer head coach; Charlie Gillingham, athletic director of media relations for athletics; Matthew Esche, assistant cross country coach, Deron Giscombe, assistant cross country coach; Kevin Carey, offensive line coach; Dustin Gisclair, defensive line coach; and Rashad Watson, secondary coach.

Watson comes to Nicholls by way of Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA., and enters his first season coaching defensive backs for the Colonels.

“Nicholls is a great school with very nice people who have been good to my family,” Watson said. “It’s a smaller, close-knit city and more family oriented.”

As for the upcoming football season, Watson describes his feelings in one word – “Goosebumps.”

Harrison comes to Nicholls after serving the last three years as head coach at Sewanee University.

“I am pleased with the selection of Dylan Harrison,” said Nicholls Athletics Director Rob Bernardi. “He is exactly what our soccer program needs. He is passionate about the sport and extremely enthusiastic. Above all, he is a good teacher and a tireless recruiter.”

Scott Williamson, head track and field coach, is excited to bring Matthew Esche and Deron Giscombe on board his coaching staff.

“Matt comes from a very successful program at the University of Iowa, and I think he will make an immediate impact on our distance program,” Williamson said. “Deron will bring a lot of specialization to the jumpers and will also focus on specific training, which will be extremely beneficial for our team.”

Duhe served as an assistant athletics trainer at Austin Peay University for the last five years. His primary responsibilities included handling all athletics training needs for the Governor’s football team, while also overseeing graduate assistants covering other sports.

“Shaun’s experience in athletics training and his familiarity with southern Louisiana made him the clear choice. We want to make certain that we provide the best possible medical care to our student-athletes,” Bernardi said. “I am confident that under Shaun’s supervision, our student-athletes will receive quality care with emphasis on injury prevention.