Unoccupied car injures director

Raziano rushes towards recovery

Nicholls’ director of alumni affairs is still recovering from injuries she received after having her legs were pinned down by her vehicle in an unusual accident on campus last month. The incident occurred July 16 after Deborah Raziano pulled her vehicle into a parking spot along Ellendale Drive near Talbot Hall and exited it to bring a stack of papers to Alfred Delahaye, professor emeritus of journalism, who was waiting for Raziano outside. As the pair stood facing the steps of the main entrance to Talbot Hall, Raziano’s vehicle began to move towards them.

The front of the vehicle hit Raziano, who fell on top of Delahaye, causing him to stumble into a sitting position on the nearby stairwell, Delahaye said.

An unnamed female student attending an ongoing orientation rushed to the scene, jumped into the vehicle and drove it in reverse, off of Raziano. University Police administered first aid until Acadian Ambulance arrived to take Raziano to Thibodaux Regional Medical Center and later Terrebonne General Medical Center.

Delahaye suffered no serious injuries, but Raziano underwent surgery on her left leg that evening.

After spending 13 days in the hospital, Raziano is now undergoing physical therapy for her left ankle and is using a walker to move around. However, she is healing faster than anticipated and is expected to make a full recovery, she said.

“I think (my recovery) is going great,” Raziano said. “I feel like I’m making good progress.”

Jessica Harvey, assistant director of alumni affairs, is filling in for Raziano during her temporary absence and said everything is running smoothly.

“Raz leaves incredibly large shoes to fill, but I had a year to observe and participate in events hosted by Alumni, and Raz is only a phone call away,” Harvey said. “We miss her a lot though. It will be great when she’s back.”

With homecoming just a month away, Alumni Affairs has been busy making preparations, but Raziano said she has no worries that things will be done to perfection in her absence.

“I would love to be there for homecoming, and I’m not saying I won’t be, but you have to do so much prior to that day, and all of that is taking place as we speak,” Raziano said. “My office is really taking the reigns. They deserve a lot of credit.”

Raziano is unsure how long her recovery will take but anticipates that she will return to campus soon.

“I’m sure I’ll just want to be all over campus (when I get back). I’ve been there so long; it’s part of me,” Raziano said. “I miss Nicholls and appreciate everyone’s concern and prayers; that really does help me get better much faster.