Student dies over summer break

Nicholls student and Marine veteran of the war in Iraq, Jonas Mabile passed away from currently unknown causes Saturday, August 1. He was 27. Mabile, a mass communication sophomore from Pierre Part, graduated from Assumption High School and entered Nicholls in 2000. There, he worked as a reporter for The Nicholls Worth for several semesters. In 2003, Mabile left the University to join the United States Marine Corps. Bonnie Mabile, Jonas’ mother, said her son had talked about joining the military since he was little.

He spent his first tour with the Marines at Al Asad Airforce Base in Iraq and his second tour aboard the USS Peleliu. During his time with the Marines, Mabile submitted articles regarding his experiences in Iraq to local papers such as the Cajun Gazette. He left the Marines as a sergeant and returned to Nicholls in 2007 on the G.I. Bill. Currently, Mabile’s mother and godmother are looking to find whether or not he was eligible for a two-year degree with which to honor his time spent at the University.

Jonas’ mother said her son wanted to be a history teacher. “He could argue a point to no end and had a lot of political views,” Mrs. Mabile said. “His big love was music.” Jonas played guitar since he was 12. He was also learning to play drums and violin.

Nicki Boudreaux, instructor of mass communication and Mabile’s academic advisor, said Mabile spoke about becoming an entertainment writer. “He knew he wanted to write, and music was what he was very passionate about,” Boudreaux said. “He was easy to talk to and easy to make friends with.”

Mabile’s mother said her son was a very fun person to be with. “He had a dry wit at times and a slow talk. He never seemed to be in a hurry.”

A funeral service for Mabile was held Thursday, August 6 at Ourso Funeral Home in Pierre Part.