University adds services to new computer software

Nicholls continues the upgrade of its online academic software from the Plus to the Banner system, in hopes of having it completed by first quarter 2010. University computer services began to upgrade the system when it was informed that Plus would no longer be supported by its provider, SunGard, starting in 2011.

The academic software system contains all business of the University and is divided into four individual suites: student services, financial aid, finance and human resources.

Students use the Plus system to submit online assignments through Blackboard, check their student e-mail accounts, schedule classes and view their grades. Teachers also use the current system to post student’s grades, class syllabi and other documents and announcements throughout the semester.

Charles Ordoyne, director of University computer services, said that the Banner system will continue to function pretty much the same for students, in the way that they use it, and the majority of the changes will be seen by the faculty and staff.

“One of the advantages of the Banner system will be the Luminis portal solution, which requires a single login,” Ordoyne said.

With the current system, if a student wants to check their e-mail then work on a Blackboard assignment, they would have to login two separate places. With Luminis, they would be required to login once, and be able to move from one task to another.

The switch to the Banner system will also make it easier for the Office of Financial Aid to reach their goal of becoming a completely paperless entity. This will be done through the use of scanning modules that the University has purchased.

The department will be able to scan any document associated with a student and attach it to their individual file, Ordoyne said. This will allow the integration between students and their records to be more seamless.

The University has used practice runs of different scenarios in multiple environments to train faculty and staff before the entire system goes live.

Several suites have already been implemented, including financial aid. Most of these suites have been scheduled to be up and running by early 2010.

As for the price tag associated with Banner: software, hardware, technical service and training will expend $4.5 million. The state has covered $1.5 million of the cost.

There may be some inconveniences to be expected when the Plus/Banner transition begins. Students that file for student aid may fill out their information in the previous system and then have to go through the new system to receive their payments.

In spite of any snags that may occur in the transition process the University will continue to move forward in the replacement of the antiquated Plus system, which it has used for over 15 years.

Nicholls will soon join 15,000 other universities and colleges that already use the Banner system.