Shark After Dark to show ‘The Life Aquatic’

Photo by: file photo

The second annual Shark After Dark, spearheaded by the Art Club, will conclude Thursday’s Welcome Back Day festivities with a band and the showing of “The Life Aquatic” at Ayo pool.The event, scheduled for 7:00 p.m., will open with “The Americanos,” a classic rock cover band, and viewing of the movie will begin at 8:30 p.m.. Admission is free for Nicholls students.

The film will be shown with a projector and screen so students can watch the film while in the Ayo pool.

“We want students to relax and have a good time.” Elise Hotard, art senior from Mathews, said. “It’s pretty damn funny watching a shark movie while swimming.”

Shark After Dark is sponsored by the Bollinger Memorial Student Union, campus recreation and the Art Club.

“They were fantastic,” Hotard said. “We had an idea and they believed in it.”

Shark After Dark will have “free food, free music and free fun,” Hotard said.

Thursday morning, the Art Club will present a new paper mache shark modeled after the antagonist of “The Life Aquatic.” The new shark, which is a fictional “jaguar” shark, was built over the course of a month, totaling approximately 33 hours of labor. The massive sized shark measures eight feet tall and seventeen feet long.

The Jaguar shark will replace the old great white that was destroyed during the trip to Baton Rouge last semester for the “Stop Eating Education” campaign, against higher education budget cuts. It will be available for photos during Welcome Back Day.