Col. Tillou receives mixed emotions

Although the University’s new mascot was approved by a focus group consisting of students, faculty, staff, community members, athletes and alumni, the new Tillou has been met with some criticism. The appearance strikes some students as being angry rather than aggressive. “The new mascot looks strange,” freshman Rhiana Scofield said. “He seems more like a vicious baseball player or an angry marine.”

Courtney Adams, dietetics senior from Houma, said, “He looks like a Nazi; he looks a little scary.”

Some students are still questioning why a change was needed if the outcome is not completely different from the old Tillou.

Chrissy Hebert, history junior from Houma, said, “Why did we change the mascot at all if we were just going to use basically the same image with a different face?”

However, there is some praise for the new mascot. Some students said Tillou shows strength, something the institution needs to inspire students in the classroom and on the field.

Nicholas Damen, accounting senior from Houma, said, “I think he looks awesome, fearless and inspiring.”

Some students are indifferent toward the new mascot. “No matter what the mascot is, I will still attend the University, and I still think it’s a good University,” Tabetha Melancon, psychology junior from Houma, said. “A mascot will not change the education I am receiving.”

It is still debatable among current students whether the new mascot represents them fairly. Some alumni say it is not a good look for the University, which should represent all generations. They believe this mascot is not their own.

“I prefer the old mascot,” Monique Domingue, accounting graduate from Houma, said. “However, I understand times change and things change.