Defense performs well in Colonels first scrimmage

Junior running back Corey Buchanan (38) runs a play as his teammates try to tackle him during practice at Guidry Stadium last week.
Photo by: Amanda Jefferson

The defense appeared to be one step ahead of the offense Aug. 15 in their morning scrimmage. The game ended fall camp as students prepared for class.The Colonels scrimmaged a total of 70 plays as the offense and defense got to showcase their skills on the gridiron.

“The team played well in the scrimmage overall, but we still have some things to clean up,” Head Coach Jay Thomas said.

The defense grabbed three interceptions in the scrimmage including one by Anri Stewart, who returned it for a touchdown.

The battle for the starting position at quarterback continues between red shirt freshmen Laquintin Caston and Jacob Witt as the season opener draws near.

“Both quarterbacks had a good scrimmage today, but they combined for three interceptions. The turnovers came on pressure applied by our defense and its blitzes, which was really good to see,” said Thomas.

Senior running back A.J. Williams thought the scrimmage showed good and bad for the Colonels as well as point out different aspects to work on.

“We made big plays when we had to, but we need to work harder up front,” Williams said. “We need to hold our blocks longer and hold our blocks on the outside.”

Standing out on the first team defense was sophomore defensive tackle A.J. Carter and senior defensive end Zac Reddix, as each recorded at least one tackle for a loss. The safety tandem of seniors Jordan Nevels and Tyson Andrus led the secondary, while junior linebacker Ed James stood out amongst the linebackers.

“I was pleased with the first team offense and defense in the scrimmage, but we have to cut down on our penalties. Both sides got a little sluggish towards the end due to the intense heat and humidity, but nothing to be overly concerned about,” said Thomas. “We had a lot of positives happen for us in the scrimmage. Our youth at certain areas was apparent, but all we need is some real game action and I have confidence that our guys will mature.”

Sophomore cornerback Bobby Felder feels the Colonels have some things to tighten up on the defensive side of the ball.

“As overall the scrimmage went good but we need to show more effort on defense and work on getting to the ball,” Felder said. “We need to work on playing relentless football and getting in shape.”

The Colonels kick off the season against Air Force on September 5.