University teams up with IBM

IBM has partnered with Nicholls to provide the University’s information systems program with an updated curriculum designed to prepare students for jobs in emerging industries.Paul Kontogiorgis, IT service curriculum director for IBM, said his company is working with more than 150 schools in more than 40 countries to bridge the gap between academic output and the industry’s needs.

With IBM’s help, the University’s information systems program updated several of its existing courses and created new ones, offering students IS electives and four areas of specialization for the first time. These specializations include IT service management, network design and management, data and business intelligence and e-commerce enterprise systems design.

Neset Hikmet, computer information systems program coordinator, said IBM has offered the University’s IS faculty opportunities to apply for grants to seek more training in addition to providing slides, videos and research materials to assist in preparing for the new classes. The faculty held two information sessions earlier in the year and provided one-on-one advising to inform students of the changes made to the program.

IBM’s partnership with Nicholls is designed to provide students with not only local, but also national and global job opportunities. Kontogiorgis said IBM is taking an agnostic approach to its academic initiative by not focusing on just its own products.

“Regardless of the industry or sector, we want these kids to be prepared to handle the infrastructure of any company,” Kontogiorgis said.

The partnership with Nicholls is an opportunity for IBM to show it does not work with just top-tier universities. “Nicholls is innovative enough to recognize this opportunity,” Kontogiorgis said.

Hikmet said student enrollment in the IS program increased over the past year from 102 to 147 students. “They were very much interested in the restructuring of the curriculum.