University listed as military-friendly

Nicholls has been named a military-friendly school for 2010 by “G.I. Jobs” magazine, because of its excellence in the integration of veterans into the classroom.This honor is given to universities, colleges and trade schools that strive to recruit and retain veteran students. The University is among the top 15 percent of schools in the country in the recruitment and retention of veterans.

Nicholls offers incentives to active military and veteran students, which include on-campus veteran programs, military spouse programs, housing allowances and the option to enroll before the general student population.

“It is an honor to help those who have so bravely and selflessly served in the armed forces meet their educational goals,” Courtney Cassard, director of enrollment services, said in a university relations press release.

“These men and women come from a diverse array of backgrounds and experiences, and they will no doubt enrich their fellow students, both in terms of class discussion and in the campus community. Everyone at the University is committed to helping these men and women make the transition into the University setting as seamless as possible.”

Changes continue to be made to the G.I. Bill in recent years and Nicholls has remained vigilant in keeping up with veterans needs.

“The post-9/11 G.I. Bill gives veterans almost unlimited financial funds towards their education,” Rich McCormack, G.I. Jobs publisher, said in a press release.

According to a University Veteran Admissions press release, admissions criteria are exempted for veterans who have received a discharge for any reason other than dishonorable.

Students have also recognized the University for its work with veterans.

“In my time here, I have seen a vast improvement in services through our VA liaison and the enrollment process,” Staff Sgt. Clancy Kirk, a business administration senior and a member of the Louisiana National Guard, said. ” I feel like Nicholls goes above and beyond to help veterans both individually and collectively.”

Nicholls was polled along with more than 7,000 schools nationwide to earn its place among the list of schools.

For more information on military-friendly schools or to see the list of universities, visit the Web site at www.militaryfriendlyschools.com.