Lady Colonel volleyball looks to prove critics wrong

Volleyball head coach Chris Laird explains the next play to the volleyball team during practice in Stopher Gym last week.
Photo by: Kameryn Rome

Beginning this season with a fifth place ranking in the Southland Conference East Division, the Lady Colonels volleyball team looks to returning team leaders and head coach Chris Laird to help silence critics. The Lady Colonels are already behind in the standings as the 2009 season beings.

In the coaches poll, the Lady Colonels are ranked fifth out of a six-team division, receiving 38 points.

In the sports information directors poll, the Colonels are slated dead last receiving only 40 points.

“We were picked near the bottom and we earned a trip to the conference tournament. There’s no reason we can’t do that again and go even farther this season.”

In 2008, Laird brought the Lady Colonels to the SLC tournament with similar rankings. The team went 9-18 throughout the season with a 6-10 conference record.

Laird, entering his fifth season as head coach, has high expectations on his mind as he dismisses last week’s polls.

“We’ve been picked at or near the bottom every year I’ve been here,” Laird said. “Unfortunately, it’s nothing new. Regardless, we’re excited for the season.”

Although last place on paper, the Colonels bring back three starters including Senior Manieka Golden, the team’s kills leader and Senior Amy Whitehead, who led the team in total assists. Another great returning player is Sophomore Danielle Daigle. Daigle led the team with digs while playing all 27 matches as the Lady Colonels starting libero.

“We have some solid veteran players coming back this year.” Laird said. “We have added some very talented newcomers, and we’ve had a great preseason camp.”

The Lady Colonels will begin their season with intentions for a return trip to the SLC tournament when the season kicks off on Friday at the Mizuno Invitational at Rice University.