Judge to speak at spring graduation

The Spring 2009 Commencement will feature a keynote address by Nicholls alumnus and U.S. District Court Chief Judge Yvette Kane.The commencement will have 555 graduates in attendance with 46 receiving master’s degrees.

Kane, who was born in Donaldsonville, received her undergraduate degree from Nicholls State University in 1973. She then went on to earn her law degree from Tulane University School of Law in 1976.

Kane served as a trial attorney for the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, assistant attorney general in the Colorado Attorney’s office, deputy district attorney in the Denver District Attorney’s office and deputy attorney general in the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s office.

When she went into private practice in 1993, she served as a senior associate attorney with the law firm of Wolf, Block, Schorr and Solis-Cohen. From 1995-1998 she served as the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, until she resigned to become a U.S. District Court Judge. Kane was nominated by President Bill Clinton on June 4, 1998 and was confirmed by the United States Senate on Oct. 21, 1998.

The ceremony will also include the presentation of an honorary doctorate to vegetation specialist and research scientist Gary Fine.

Fine worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture as a soil conservationist and district conservationist before managing two USDA plant material centers. His work has been critical for the restoration of degraded habitats.

Fine has received many honors and distinctions over the years, including USDA AmeriCorps Project Manager of the Year, NRCS South Central Region Employee Award, NRCS National Earth Team Employee Award and numerous certificates of merit.

“Gary’s efforts led to the establishment of valuable guidelines for the restoration of costal marshes, beaches, and barrier islands that are of tremendous value to the economic livelihood and quality of life of coastal Louisiana,” Kevin D. Norton, state conservationist, said.

Allyse Ferrara, associate professor of biological sciences, nominated Fine for the award.

“Louisiana can be grateful that Gary’s years of expertise and experience dealing with preserving, protecting, and restoring ecosystems were not lost with his retirement,” Norton said.

Commencement Session I is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. on May 23 and will include graduates from the College of Business Administration, College of Nursing and Allied Health and University College. Session II will begin at 2 p.m. and includes the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education and John Folse Culinary Institute.