University reveals controversial mascot

This semester marks the welcome of a brand new mascot and logo, it was met with mixed emotions. Renee Piper, director of University relations, said everything was handled fairly in terms of the design process for the new logo. A focus group, including current students, faculty, community members, student athletes and alumni helped with the process.

Some do not agree with the aggressive nature of the new Colonel, which will be used for Nicholls athletics. Piper said such reactions are to be expected when introducing anything new. An overwhelming majority of the focus group agreed that the new mascot should be “tough” and “aggressive” as opposed to the 7.8 percent who voted for a “friendly” Tillou.

Piper said the new mascot represents this time period adequately, calling it “contemporary.”

It has been five years since President Stephen T. Hulbert retired the old Colonel costume and caricature. Since 2004 the colonel has been essentially “faceless.”

It was important to the focus group that the updated Colonel Tillou be male and racially neutral. More than half agreed that the new image be of a cadet or solider. Other choices were an eagle, sword, flag, patriotic symbol and a crawfish.

Much consideration was put into the contractor that would design the new logos. The University of Louisiana Monroe recommended award-winning Rickabaugh Graphics. They are national known for their athletics rebranding. Aside from ULM, the company has have also worked for Louisiana Tech University.

The University also introduced updated “N” athletic logos. The sword that once went behind the letter is now woven in front of it and the color black outlines the letter. About 90 percent of the focus group agreed that a second color was an important add and more than half concluded black as the new color. Piper said that it helps the new logo “stand out.” Navy Blue was also seriously considered.

Many fans are concerned on whether the new costumed mascot will be as aggressive looking as the logos. However, the new mascot is said to be a “larger than life, friendly” character and pleasure to all ages of Colonel fans.

Last up on the ballot was the resurrection of items from the past. An incredible 100 percent agreed that the phrase “Geaux Colonels” be brought back. It is now one of four primary wordmarks for Nicholls athletics.

The University community can watch the unveiling of the new mascot on August 27 at 11:45 in the Quadrangle.

For more information on the new logos and the focus group survey results, contact the Office of University Relations at www.nicholls.edu/mascot.