Thibodaux for Dummies: A newcomer’s guide

Whether students crave pizza, a nice quiet bar to relax with good friends or coffee in the blink of an eye, Thibodaux, although barely crossing the threshold between town and city, can satisfy almost any need a person has. Thibodaux has many interesting locations from the quiet atmosphere and tasty sandwiches of the Demitasse Coffee and Tea House to the fun and excitement of playing pool with a few close friends at Norm’s.

The Demitasse, located only a few miles from campus provides a nice place to study and relax. Other “hot” locations to blow off some steam before a big test include Starbucks, in northern Thibodaux, and Raising Canes, also in northern Thibodaux.

If the bar scene is more your style, then Downtown Thibodaux is the place to go. Peppers’ good food and pub-type atmosphere make it a hot spot for any college student. Adjacent to Peppers is an array of bars and night-time hangouts for students.

Although Thibodaux has a decent night life, it’s more well-known for its food. Its eateries are second-to-none. Politz, located in west Thibodaux, is a casual up-scale restaurant offering seafood and steaks. Also in west Thibodaux are Rob’s Donuts, which sells donuts, and La Palma, a quick-paced, Mexican-style restaurant. These are nice places to bring a first date or the family when they come to visit.

Bubbas I and II will become familiar after a couple of short months because of their popularity with seafood and po-boys. Thibodaux is also home to a plethora of fast-food restaurants.

Lin’s buffet is another popular restaurant that draws plenty of attention from the locals. It’s famous for cheap chinese food.

El Paso, the newest addition to Thibodaux’s restaurant empire is a sit-down restaurant in northern Thibodaux that offers great-priced Mexican food. El Paso is quickly becoming popular for its queso (cheese) dip.

For studious students, Textbook Rentals Inc. is an excellent place to save money when acquiring class books. Books at TRI typically cost half the price of those at the bookstore, but they cannot be sold back like those at the Nicholls bookstore. Cherry Books, located on Canal Blvd. is another alternative to the campus bookstore.

For those who are shopping-inclined, Downtown Thibodaux also features various locations and small boutiques to spend your hard-earned money. Retail Therapy is just one of the many stores confined to the small blocks of downtown. Of course, Wal-Mart is located in north Thibodaux.

Although Thibodaux is far from the size of Houma, and much smaller than Baton Rouge, it has its own characteristics that define it and make it appealing to anyone taking residence here. Its eateries, nightlife and boutiques set it apart and give the city a rustic allure that very few would find unappealing.