Women’s basketball team finalizes 2009-10 schedule

Freshman guard/forward Kiera Smith does sprints during practice Sept. 24th in Stopher Gym.
Photo by: Jamison Taylor

The women’s Colonels basketball team finalized its schedule for the 2009-2010 season.The Colonels scheduled 12 non-conference games. Six of the 12 will be played at home, and two will be played out of state.

“I have always approached the non-conference schedule as the first of three seasons within a season-season one: non-conference; season two: conference; season three: post-season-with each season preparing us for the next. I look forward to the challenges ahead,” head coach Dobee Plaisance said.

Nicholls will kick off the season when the Colonels head to New Orleans on Nov. 18 to play against the Lady Privateers in the Lakefront Arena. The Colonels’ first home game will be Nov. 20 when it hosts Louisiana Tech in David R. Stopher Gym.

Following its home opener, the Colonels will travel to Louisiana State University to take on the Lady Tigers Nov. 22. LSU finished third last season in the SEC, compiling a 19-11 overall record with a 10-4 mark in league play and earning a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

“I believe playing regional opponents is great for the state and region. We are not always in a position to do so, but when the opportunity presents itself, regardless of the outcome, it is a good scenario for both institutions,” Plaisance said.

The Colonels will then travel to play Grambling State Dec. 1 before returning home to host South Alabama Dec. 5. The Colonels will remain home to play Centenary Dec. 9 before traveling to play at Georgia State Dec. 12 and at Bethune Cookman Dec. 14.

The Colonels will return home to play against Southern Dec. 17 and then travel to Louisiana Monroe Dec. 28 to play against the Warhawks. The Colonels will return home for a final time to close the non-conference slate with a game against Jackson State Jan. 9.

“I believe the Southland Conference is better overall this season, and I am anxious about securing Nicholls’ place as a dominant force in it. Our players are working with integrity and determination. They are a special group that strives to overachieve and does not want to let each other down,” Plaisance said.

Nicholls will face its usual Southland Conference opponents and start its second season against Northwestern State Jan. 9 in Stopher Gym.