Soccer falls short of tying University record

Freshman defender Britni Crone guards the ball against Alcorn State players during Tuesdays game.  The Colonels won 6-0.
Photo by: Amanda Jefferson
Freshman defender Britni Crone guards the ball against Alcorn State players during Tuesday’s game. The Colonels won 6-0.

The Colonels soccer team lost at Jackson State 3-0 in an effort to tie the University’s single season wins record at four wins.The loss against the Tigers halted the attempt. The last time the Colonels won four games in a season was in 2006 and before that in 2003.

In a rebound effort, the Colonels will play against the Alcorn State Braves at home.

“The chance to tie the school wins record at home gives you some more incentive,” head coach Dylan Harrison said. “It would be nice for our players to do that in front of their friends, family and the people that have supported us for so long. Hopefully, we’ll be able to get that off our back tomorrow and focus on just getting out there and playing.”

Although redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Molly Mersereau produced a double-digit saves contest with 12 stopped shots, the offense of the Tigers was too much for the Colonels.

The Tigers outshot the Colonels 14-7 and took the lead with a score from Keba Ambrose within the 10th minute.

The Colonels held tight until the 29th minute of the second half when Lisa Wren scored on a breakaway, giving the Tigers a 2-0 lead.

Falling by 2-0 with only 15 minutes left to play, the Colonels’ offense tried to make a comeback, but the defense fell and gave up another goal in the 89th minute, making it a 3-0 lead to finish out the game.

With the loss, the Colonels fell to 3-6 and finished off a 10-day stretch that included four games, along with the 2009 Southland Conference opener against Southeastern Louisiana Sunday.

“We sat some girls at Jackson State, and we’re going to make sure that we’re as healthy as possible heading into conference,” Harrison said. “As important as it is for our program to show that progress and get those wins, we still need to try to put ourselves in the best possible position to compete in conference.”

The Colonels’ next game against former NAIA power Houston Baptist will face off Friday at 4 p.m. at the Nicholls State Soccer Complex.