Utopian Classroom utilizes technology

A Utopian Classroom, a technologically enhanced learning environment, is being created in 125 Polk for elementary education majors’ use.

Fran Crochet, associate professor of education, attended the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education conference and was introduced to a model reading classroom.

“I saw it and loved it,” Crochet said.

Crochet proposed the idea to Greg Stall, head of Department of Education, and Steven Welsh, Dean of the College of Education. Both agreed that the idea would be a positive addition to the education program and the planning phase of the project began.

This semester, pieces of furniture and other materials have arrived and are forming the future site of the Utopian Classroom in 125 Polk.

“Students taking EDUC 507 are required to create a Utopian Classroom,” Crochet said. “Why not model one for the students?” Crochet said.

Cynthia Vavasseur, assistant professor of education, completed the technology aspects to create the 21st century classroom. The classroom will consist of ten iPad docking stations, desktop computer with a printer, SMART Board, and a promethium board. This technology is already being used in elementary schools across the country. Michelle Pellegrin, administrative assistant to the dean, ordered everything for the classroom.

The funding for this project comes from multiple sources. Welsh predominantly funded the Utopian Classroom.

“Welsh has enabled and provided this opportunity for this project to happen,” Crochet said.

Funding is also coming from a financial endowment from the University, and Vavasseur is currently applying for a grant to fund the SMART Board and the promethium board. This grant comes from students’ technology fee money.

“I hope it truly prepares students for the 21st century,” Crochet said.

There will also be a Cajun-themed reading corner with an assortment of books that education students can use for lesson plans. Books will be labeled, and put in a system for education students to check out. Joan Primeaux and Alyson Theriot, assistant professors of education, developed the booklist for the corner and will use a pirogue prop to complete the theme.

The classroom will also include a guided reading corner, where education students will take groups of elementary students with the same reading level. There will also be a vocabulary, phonetics, fluency and writing stations for the desktop computer and printer.

Susan Roark, distinguished service professor of education, and Theriot helped Crochet select supplies for the Utopian Classroom.

“The future of this classroom will contain a science class with a working lab,” Theriot said.

Roark also acquired and set up the technology for the online course that will be used with the Utopian Classroom in the master’s program.

All reading classes in the education department will use the Utopian Classroom to model the learning and technology that will be available in real-world classrooms. The EDUC 403 students will also use the Utopian Classroom to tutor elementary and middle school students from the community who have difficulty reading.

“I hope students enjoy the classroom and make the most of it,” Crochet said.