Polk’s ‘demo room’ site for hands-on learning experience

Kayla Meissner, education senior from Des Allemands, hands out a worksheet to students from the Max Charter School as South Thibodaux Elementary School fifth-grade teacher Julie Prejean evaluates her in Polk Halls Demonstration Room.
Photo by: Rudy Vasquez
Kayla Meissner, education senior from Des Allemands, hands out a worksheet to students from the Max Charter School as South Thibodaux Elementary School fifth-grade teacher Julie Prejean evaluates her in Polk Hall’s Demonstration Room.

Nicholls students aspiring to be teachers have a demonstration classroom in Polk Hall ready to enhance their skills.In 1982, “the demo room,” as it is commonly called among students, began in the College of Education as a smaller, more cost-effective version of a full laboratory school, which can typically be found on larger university campuses.

At first, the room allowed professional teachers and University instructors to teach methods of classroom instruction to students through real-life demonstration, consisting- of elementary school students brought on campus by neighboring schools. Students watched their instructor or another professional teach a class through a one-sided mirror in the observation room attached to the back of the classroom.

JoAnn Cangemi, retired professor emeritus, was one of the first professors to teach in the demo room and remembered the hesitancy of faculty to have it.

“The faculty was nervous to teach in the demo room,” Cangemi said. “They would be in the spotlight. They would have to practice what they preached to students.”

After nerves subsided, professors became more comfortable using the room. Linda Aucoin, retired assistant professor, saw the room’s impact during its early days.

“Doctors watched doctors, lawyers watched other lawyers and teachers never got the opportunity to watch others teach,” Aucoin said. “The room became a great learning experience to see what your peers are doing well or not doing well.”

The demo room has expanded its original purpose. Students completing field experience assignments required to obtain degrees and certification by the College of Education now use it.

Alyson Theriot, assistant professor and field experience coordinator in the College of Education, explained students would never understand the methods of teaching without real-life classroom interaction.

“Nicholls students are allowed to teach in a safe environment where if they made mistakes, it is okay,” Theriot said. “We are also allowed to use it as a springboard for professors to discuss ideas with students.”

Juile Prejean, fifth-grade math, science and social studies teacher at South Thibodaux Elementary School, has supported the demo room concept for 20 years by bringing her class on campus for aspiring teachers to get practice.

“The children enjoy the different teachers and setting at Nicholls,” Prejean said. “It is wonderful for my students to learn different lessons from different teachers.”

Education students prepare a daily lesson approved by their professor and their cooperating professional teacher prior to entering the demo room. Next, the students apply the lesson to the professional teacher’s class.

“The lessons are important because what those aspiring teachers teach is what I teach,” Prejean said. “It has been either taught, or it is coming up shortly. I have given what we’ve covered or what we are on at the time.”

Alyson Breaux, education junior from Berwick, knew what her activity would be in advance and made preparations. “I’ve known what I was doing for about a week,” she said.

After a student gives Prejean’s class its lesson, she provides feedback.

“I’m always looking for something positive and give them suggestions because, for most of them, it is their first time getting in the front of a class with children,” Prejean said. “Most teachers are well prepared. However, sometimes they need advice on the classroom management. No matter what kind of lesson you have prepared, if you don’t have the classroom management, no one will learn.”

Breaux thought the demo room was comfortable and allowed her to focus on what she wanted the children to learn.

“I know where everything is in the demo room,” Breaux said. “Since I haven’t taught in a classroom yet, I don’t know where everything is located in order to teach.”

In the future, the College of Education will include more teacher- and student-assisted technology in the demo room and use local middle school students visiting in demonstration, along with the elementary students currently visiting.

Christine Hypolite, head of teacher education, would also love to see a full laboratory school come to fruition at Nicholls.

“I think it would be wonderful for not only students to learn, but it would be wonderful for the faculty to teach the best practices,” Hypolite said. “I haven’t given up on the idea. I want it to happen.”

Even though Prejean has many years of experience as a teacher, she found many Nicholls students gave her new tricks to use in her classroom.

“Even having taught for 31 years, I am always looking for something different,” she said. “If I see an activity that some of the Nicholls students use, I take it back and use it myself in the classroom if I feel the students enjoyed it and thought it was a great idea.”

Breaux was worried about her performance in front of the classroom of young, impressionable faces. “I was sweating bullets,” she said. “I kept thinking about what could and would go wrong.

For aspiring teachers who feel nervous, Prejean gives advice. “I would tell a teacher to relax and be yourself,” she said. “Kids can pick up on someone’s fear. You have to control that class and be in charge. If you are fair and have fun activities, the students will enjoy you.