University names Homecoming king and queen

Blaine Adams, biology senior from Cut Off, and Whitney Dupuy, government junior from Morgan City, react to being announced the 2009 Homecoming king and queen at Saturdays football game against Jacksonville State.
Photo by: Rudy Vasquez
Blaine Adams, biology senior from Cut Off, and Whitney Dupuy, government junior from Morgan City, react to being announced the 2009 Homecoming king and queen at Saturday’s football game against Jacksonville State.

President Stephen Hulbert crowned Inter Fraternity Council nominee Whitney Dupuy and Honors Program nominee Blaine Adams as Homecoming queen and king Saturday during the football game’s halftime show. Dupuy, government junior from Morgan City, is a member of Delta Zeta sorority. She is also Student Government Association’s director of student rights and grievances and served as an orientation leader and student homecoming chair.

Adams, biology senior from Cutoff, is a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, Pre-Professional Medical Association and Alpha Lambda Psi Delta Honor Society. He serves as public relations officer for the Honors Program and secretary of Order of Omega. He was also named one of Who’s Who Among American College Students.

Dupuy was surprised when she heard her name called as queen, she said.

“I was excited because I didn’t expect them to call my name,” Dupuy said. “It was a complete shock.”

Although being announced as queen was memorable, Dupuy said the entire week of Homecoming was exciting.

“I attended every single event; I took off of work to attend them all,” Dupuy said. “My favorite thing was the water day. I stayed out there for hours.”

Aside from the week’s festivities, Dupuy said her favorite part of being on Homecoming court was “hanging out with the court, meeting people I had never met before and actually celebrating. The court went out after the game on Saturday night, and we had a blast together.”

After being announced as king, Adams said he “went numb.”

“I couldn’t believe it. First I was super excited because Whitney got it, and then I was just very excited,” Adams said.

Adams said he enjoyed the Homecoming week festivities, especially the pep rally, but his favorite part was the parade.

“My favorite part of Homecoming court was probably riding in the convertible during the parade,” Adams said. “That had to be one of my favorite parts of the whole week.”

Dupuy said she spends her most of her free time with her sorority but also loves intramural sports. After graduation, she plans to apply to graduate school in New York City to obtain a masters degree in criminal justice. From there, Dupuy wants to work for the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

When Adams is not focusing on school, he said he enjoys swimming and playing basketball. He is also “a big family man.” After graduation, he plans to attend medical school at Louisiana State University and eventually work in geriatric medicine.