Two professors prepare to host Nicholls Europe 2010

Two history educators, who hope to have many fresh minds to enlighten over the course of 16 days and many countries, will host Nicholls Europe 2010, the 37th annual trip to Europe next summer.The trip, which will include numerous famous locations in its itinerary such as Florence, Italy and the Swiss Alps, will be coordinated by James Barnidge, associate professor of history, and Kathy Dugas, instructor of history.

“You’re observing the greatest art man has ever beheld. It comes alive whenever you’re there,” Barnidge said. “It isn’t just a sterile story in a book.”

Barnidge said the trip will cost $3,995 per student. This price includes round-trip transportation-both airplane fare and the buses used for touring Europe-hotel accommodations, meals, tours and tour guides. The trip will also count for six credit hours in either humanities or electives. Students can choose to allocate them however they choose.

Barnidge said there were 48 people on the trip last year, and it took until Christmas to attract that many. However, this year, one bus was filled within three weeks, causing him to make accommodations to fill another bus containing 45 more people.

Barnidge hopes to have 90 people attend.

While he and Dugas are the only two history educators on board, he said people who have previously attended, which include alumni, faculty, retirees and staff, will also be going on the trip. Thus, other knowledgeable people will be on board.

Although Barnidge said he is not fluent in other languages, he can read Italian, German, French and Spanish. He also knows “what not to do” in the other cultures visited during the trip. The tour guides will instruct the students in manners and etiquette.

“The Europeans save us because they speak our language. Some students come back and study foreign languages, art and music as electives,” Barnidge said. “You can be into music, but when you go to Vienna and a Mozart concert, that’s different. It gives you an appreciation of theatre.”

He believes Europe is a better teaching tool than sitting in a classroom and learning from a PowerPoint presentation or listening to a lecture. Barnidge used the example of lecturing about Napoleon on the same field where his troops fought and died.

He also recalled having science students who were studying Galileo and were astounded they were standing in the same place he conducted many experiments. He said it was the same experience with Isaac Newton.

“The students remember this, and it comes alive,” Barnidge said.

He said not everyone who attends does so for the credit. Many of the people are not enrolled at the University. Last year, people ranged in age from 16 to 81 years old.

“Twelve or 15 people were here [at Nicholls as students] and knew about the program but didn’t have the money,” Barnidge said. “They went out, made money and then came back. You could be a citizen of the community because Nicholls is making it available to the community.”

Jeannette Burke, general studies senior from Houma, attended the trip last summer and said it was the most amazing trip she has been on because it allowed her to see all the things she has studied for years.

“There were highlights like Switzerland. Pictures could never do it justice,” Burke said. “Switzerland is breathtaking.”

She feels that as a non-traditional student, she has a different outlook on some things. She said the “communion” in other countries is amazing.

“Not only was it a breathtaking place, but the people…their entire culture is hospitable,” Burke said.

She said the trip to Europe was great from a sociological standpoint because “you are the visitor in another country.” It was not the other way around.

“I was thrust into someone else’s culture and value system. I was the outsider for a change,” Burke said. “I hear about the ugly American; I can see why their perception is like that. I went to their country not aware of their systems.”

Barnidge also had stories to share. He recalled a trip visiting Notre Dame. “One student asked where the football team practices,” Barnidge said. “He was serious.”

When asked how long he would continue to coordinate the trip, Barnidge said, “As long as I can go; it’s what keeps me young. As a teacher you are rejuvenated.”

What Barnidge would like to stress is that the program for 2010 is being announced and still has limited seats. Spots are available and go on a first-come, first-serve basis. Those interested should visit 238 Peltier Hall or call (985) 448-4460.